News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Series 62 Help!

Started by Bobby B, April 28, 2014, 09:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby B

Hi…. I am in desperate need of a solution with a problem that seems to be difficult ( and extremely frustrating ) in finding an answer to. I'm trying to finish up a restoration project for my Dad, and it's a 1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible.  When I purchased the car, the rear quarter windows were out of the car, laying in the trunk, and rotted away. I had them fabricated by a reputable vintage Cadillac person in the midwest. They did a beautiful job, but I have no idea what parts are missing in the puzzle. My two main questions are:

(1)   Where the brass regulator arm button rides in the horizontal channel, is there some kind of "wheel" or "cover" that presses over it so it glides a little easier and is a little tighter in the channel. Or is it metal-on-metal with a lot of grease? If so, any idea where I can get the part?

(2) At the rear of the window is a channel that measures 1 1/2" high X 5/8" wide X 3/4" deep. There are two holes approx. 1/8" on either side of the channel. There is obviously something missing because inside the quarter panel there is a curved metal track that must support the window as it rolls down so all the weight is not on the front pivot bolt. I assume it also locates the window as a guide so it doesn't wander around. I thought that maybe it was a piece of run channel, but the holes don't make sense unless a previous owner did this. Then I thought that maybe it's a brass/nylon type filler, with a slot cut into it to ride the track. My last possibility was maybe that there are "rollers" or "wheels" mounted across the channel to ride the track. And again, any idea where I can get these parts?

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. Any pictures, guidance, reference sources, or parts availability would be a major plus. I have included some reference pictures.
                                                                                                               Thank You,
                                                                                                                  Bob

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Bob: I will post some pictures below which should help you. I see the quarter widow you had made but also lets see if you have the remaining parts to make it operable. At the front bottom of the quarter window that you had made is a cast swivel bracket that has a hole through the bracket for a bolt called a pivot bolt. Look at Fig 31 below and look at A. Inside that door post are two cast iron plates that the pivot bolt will attach. These are adjustment plates so the quarter window can be moved slightly up or down, back and foreword to meet the door window for a good fit. Now look at picture 1 below which shows the quarter window regulator with an arm on the regulator. At the end of that arm is a fixed round metal pivot. The arm is B in Fig 31 below. That fixed round pivot at the end of arm B fits into the slide that is under part of the window. Just under C you have a L shaped bracket called a run channel and is formed with a radius that is attached at the top and then again at the bottom of this run channel. If I remember correctly, at the bottom end of the window in your picture and referred to C in Fig 31 is the area that fits over the L shaped channel run. I believe there were small hard felt pieces riveted to the inside of C leaving just enough room between them to fit the L channel between and guide the window as it is cranked down.

Bobby B

Bill,
  Ok….So the regulator arm brass  knob just sits in the channel and slides with grease, that's it. No type of hard rubber or equiv. over the brass, just metal -on- metal.  The curved track inside the quarter is shaped in an "L".  If some kind of hard felt sits it there, it must be a certain thickness in order to glide easily enough while locating it properly on the track so there is minimal side-to-side movement while operating the window through its arc.  Seems simple enough.  I have to try and find something that will fit the bill. Originally, I was going to make up a solid nylon block to fit it there and machine the proper groove in there for the track. Might be tricky because as the window moves, the depth might vary. I see the point in just "lining" only the sides of that channel. I do have the Service manual and the Fisher body manual, but the details back then were very vague and they really don't go into any detail as far as the quarter window goes. Any sources or pics would really be appreciated. Thanks for all the help.
                                                                                   Regards,
                                                                                       Bob
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bill Ingler #7799

Bob: The L shaped curved bracket is not covered. The small U shaped bracket at the very end of the window frame has a hard material that protrudes out past the end of the window frame and that rides on either side of the L guiding the curved window down to the bottom of the quarter on that curved track.  Bill

Bobby B

Bill,
  I'm sorry you mis-understood me. My statement about the "Curved track inside the quarter is shaped like an "L", is the end of that subject. I figured that the track stays bare metal, as-is, since both sides are identical. The rest all pertains to the rear window small channel area. My Bad…..Can we find these pieces anywhere? If not, it would be great if anybody out there had a picture when they had them out/ apart, so I can make something up. According to your reply, it sticks out far enough past the 3/4" depth of the channel so that it can't jump off the track. Probably not as critical to me as what type of material it is. Maybe get some form of "felt-like" run channel and cut it down to fit, and secure it in there. All your replies are much appreciated!    Thanks,  Bob
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Dave T

Bob, I think that you my need a nylon roller that bolts into the window regulator arm and then would slide along the inside of the run track. I bought some on line that were for a 69 camaro, I had turn them down a little and make the groove deeper. I just put them in the drill press and used a file, I was not working on the qt windows ,I was working on the run tracks for the doors and the door window regulators.
                           Dave T CCL 22554
Dave Treuhaft
CLC # 22554