News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

leaky cross over tube

Started by CLYDE, April 30, 2014, 05:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLYDE

Hi i am finally at the stage of being able to fire my 429 engine for the first time but when i started filling the radiator it started leaking water from the cross over tube  where it meets the front cover water pump  part from that o ring is there a quick fix or do i have to pull it off again?

russ austin

Use 2 o rings and a washer.  The trick is shown at www.1963caddyshack.com   The crossover tube will have to come off, to fix the leak.
R.Austin

Julien Abrahams

Yes, I have fiddled around with this crossover pipe a couple of times. Like Russ said, the trick is to use 2 o-rings (worked for me). The pipe has to come off again. Put  the two o-rings on the short pipe that goes into the top of the water pump, then, carefully put the crossover pipe on, making sure it sits properly in the water pump opening and lines up with the flanges on the heads.
When you remove it, it is likely that the gaskets (between the pipe and the heads) will break/tear. My solution (although admittedly not the best/prettiest) was to use blue rtv (locktite) instead of the gaskets. It hasn't leaked since (more than a year ago).
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett