News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 coupe deville steering box?

Started by Hankk17, May 03, 2014, 11:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

Where can I source a *good* steering box for my 76 cdv?

I'm now on box #2 that leaks on the in board side from the cover where it meets the main body of the box.   We've tried sealing it with gasket sealer but the pressure is just too great obviously.  It seems to just be poor qc on the manufacturers part...

Rock auto maybe?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hank
Wherever you go... There you are

Dave Shepherd

Back in the day we had problems with the case cracking under the top cover cover between the bolt holes and the case opening. So careful with used un-tested cases.

Hankk17

does it crack from the adjuster?  just seems like a poor design no matter how you slice it..

-Hank
Wherever you go... There you are

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am not completely sure, but wouldn't any steering box from any RWD Cadillac from 1971 to 1976 swap over?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Actually 1966-76 are physically the same.  The only difference is the different ratios (and non-variable ratios) used on the limos and commercial chassis.   Cardone does an above average job on rebuilding these.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

I replaced the box on my '75 Olds 88 22 yrs ago and its still going strong (not leaking).

+1 on Cardone, though these days, who knows where/who does the rebuilding.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Barry

The entire front of my 76 Fleetwood steering box cracked open when pulling into the driveway ! Got a new one from Rock !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: Hankk17 on May 03, 2014, 04:45:09 PM
does it crack from the adjuster?  just seems like a poor design no matter how you slice it..

-Hank  Cracks from one of the top cover bolt holes to the case opening, we used to remove the adjustment cover, tap the case sharply at all 4 corners with a hammer and when you saw oil squeeze out thru the crack you knew the case was bad.