News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Fleetwood transmission?

Started by cparman, May 03, 2014, 06:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cparman

Can you replace the hydra matic with a TH400?  This car does not have the correct Carburetor, and we cannot connect the linkage to the transmission to make it shift properly.  I have it " rigged" and it shifts, but it is very poor at best.
Patrick McHugh

Scot Minesinger

Yes, I have seen this done on a 59, which has same engine and trans (almost) as a 1962.  There is some work to do, it is not an unbolt the Hydromatic trans and bolt in the TH400.  The TH400 has a vacuum connection so no carb linkage to worry about.  Might be easier to get the right carb with linkage.  Understand the TH400 is better, and I would make that change too.  Look in the directory for a Jim K in Fairfax Station (or Clifton) Virginia.  He is a super nice guy and has a 59 Caddy with a TH400 installed in it.  Jim does not frequent this site.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

SixDucks

I'll bet you may find help here.......
http://www.61-62cadillacs.com/forums/index.php

Lots pf good information here
Hope that helps.
Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think you would require an adapter, as the Hydramatic uses a Fluid Drive, and the TH400 uses a Torque Converter.

The Flex Plates are different, as is the Starter Motor mounting, amongst other things.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dplotkin

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 03, 2014, 08:22:18 PM
The Flex Plates are different, as is the Starter Motor mounting, amongst other things.

If an adapter is even available you will certainly need it. The 59-62 390 Cadillac V8 was always used in front of the controlled coupling Hydra Matic only, and a Turbo 400 will not bolt up. You are far better off finding & putting a correct Carter AFB on the car (which is an excellent carburetor) and attaching your TV rod properly.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

russ austin

It will be cheaper and easier to build the TV rod adaptor.  I have built a few, with the theory in mind. The TV rod needs to pull evenly across the throttle lever activation.  The attach point needs to swing in an even arc, and not turn back into the carb during acceleration.
R.Austin

Dan LeBlanc

Are you running an Edelbrock carburetor?  If so, the Carter TV linkage is almost a direct bolt on. Two of the three holes line up. I've got one here if you need it. Just cover shipping.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Mike Simmons 938

See Wilcap.com for  a 390 (etc) adapter kit for using the GM 350TH and similar (TH400). About $500 I think, and you utilize a smaller Chrysler product starter. Bentsen (sp) adapters also make a kit, and I recently saw an ad  on eBay for someone else whose kit included the starter (ca. $700 I think). A little on-line googling will get you mucho info, if you decide to go that route.
Mike Simmons 938

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I put a different carby on my '60 390, I constructed my own version of the TV Rod actuator.   (I never got the original carb with the engine)

Michael Stamps sent me the drawing of what he had on his '60 Sedan, and I used those figures to construct the one pictured.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dplotkin

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 04, 2014, 08:34:00 PM
When I put a different carby on my '60 390, I constructed my own version of the TV Rod actuator.   (I never got the original carb with the engine)

Michael Stamps sent me the drawing of what he had on his '60 Sedan, and I used those figures to construct the one pictured.

This would be the best advice. The trouble you will go to making a modern automatic work in your car will hardly be worth it. Borrow Bruce's template and keep your old Cad a proper one.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker