News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2014 ATS: Way to make the clock visible

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, May 04, 2014, 07:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

On our new ATS, even the salesman was unable to find out how to keep the larger numerals visible to see the clock. The usual position is the upper RH corner of the box that shows the radio station and what's playing currently. And, very, very tiny letters.  By accident, I was pushing in on the "on/off" button and the larger numerals appeared. Ta-Dah!!

I think that Sirius has "control" of the HVAC panel at GM presently, as that the control panel is definitely geared towards easy operation of the radio rather than the heater. Cadillac: Old people want to be comfortable in their cars. When my thirty five year old Fleetwood has an easier to operate heating system than a brand new car, something Is wrong somewhere.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Barry: I see that you too have a complaint on the CUE system. I am no novice when it comes to a computer as we had them in our KC-135 aircraft before I retired in 85.  When I got my new XTS last year, the salesman also gave me a an IPAD to tell me how to operate the CUE, I knew right then that the older Cadillac buyer was not going to take to everything being digital with no dials or knobs. After owning the car for 15 months I still can`t work the navigation system, after punching the screen trying to set the heater or turn the blower down, the plastic covering of the CUE with all my finger prints, looks like I just had a piece of fried chicken. When I took my XTS in for a recall, the service adviser made a very big mistake- he asked me how I liked the car. After my heated response, they have not sent me the usual customer service questionnaire. I wonder why?   Bill

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Gee Bill. Didn't they give you the cool little cream colored cloth to wipe the black off when the fingerprints get too bad? I keep mine in the little space below the panel. Really cool solution to the problem. Keep a rag on the dash to clean it off. Dash cloth by Fleetwood. Tonight we were driving along. Gay's RH dash vent had warm air, the one to her left had cold, and both of mine were warm. So we closed her LH vent.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Schuman

Hi Barry,
To get the large analog-appearing clock dial without turning off the CUE system, touch the digital time display in the upper right corner. To go back to a screen for the radio, climate control, etc, touch the appropriate icon at the top of the screen.
Yesterday Terry Wenger and I spent about 13 hours in my 2014 XTS, and had lots of frustration with the CUE navigation, radio, and bluetooth phone. I have had six months to learn it, not nearly enough time.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Bob. after we had made the deal, the salesman said, "Oh, by the way, you don't have a CD player. You have to load your discs onto (senior moment) the little doody you use to transfer data from one computer to another. I haven't even started in on that yet. I guess I'll have to have my grandson work on it.

By the way, my oldest local grandson is about three weeks from a summer's internship at Google. Brag, brag. We had a BD party at Pizza Hut last Friday and my daughter picked the two Boilermakers up to join us. I was pleased when they said, "We can't wait for cake. We really have to get back. We have finals next week." I mentioned to them that we have only a year or so of having understandable conversations with them.

All of you guys with grandkids that are four and five years old, cherish the time you have with them. It will go by faster than you ever dreamed possible. We have only one of five still in High School and he will be a senior next year.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

INTMD8

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on May 04, 2014, 08:00:53 PM
I knew right then that the older Cadillac buyer was not going to take to everything being digital with no dials or knobs.

Not sure if 36 qualifies as older but I far prefer knobs and buttons. They are far more convenient.

And a gloss black surface that you HAVE to touch???? Just isn't logical.

jsanford

Barry, if you have CUE then the CD player should be in the glove box.

The basic climate controls were placed on the panel below the CUE screen for easier operation. Other companies have put ALL climate operations in the screen.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Jeremy: Yes other car makers have incorporated most all the controls which used to be dials and switches into a digital screen. I can only speak about the Cadillac CUE system as I own a 2013 XTS with the CUE. Now I am not against change but what I am upset with in the CUE is the amount of time it takes to say change the heater/ air-condition settings or navigation while you are driving. To change a setting means you take you eyes off the road, look down to find the area on the screen that you need to push to make the change, tap that section for the change and hope for the proper response. Sometimes the CUE responds with your finger tap other times it does not. All the time your eyes are going from the CUE back to the road and back to the CUE. I remind my grandkids not to text and drive but one grandkid was in the car and saw me trying to do something with the CUE as I was driving and reminded me I should follow the advise that I gave to them. The CUE system needs help and I suspect what you will see in the future is the use of more voice recognition and incorporating more system controls in the steering wheel.   Bill

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As my car is a base model, I don't have the CUE. I do hate having to check traffic before glancing down at the controls. And Bill is right. Sometimes things will move for you, other times, you wish you had a hammer to pound on the darn thing. Richard (Sills), how much would you have to have for your five thousand mile '79 Fleetwood???
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville