News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Leather Conditioner

Started by Jeff Moffo, May 02, 2014, 07:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Good Morning,
I am just trying to purchase some leather conditioner for my '76 Coupe De Ville.  I have heard great things about Bill Hirsch's products.
I simply need to re-condition the leather and SOFTEN it A LOT.... It was not conditioned much over its lifetime, so there is some very small hairline "cracking" occuring.  I would like to get the harder leather softened as much as possible before any true damage occurs.
Can anyone suggest some products they used with great success? 
Thanks.
Jeff M.
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

TJ Hopland

I had my interior detailed last summer when I had the a new top put on and the seats looked and felt really good so I asked what they used.   It was called Bryon's Hyde Food.   Apparently its got natural fat and oils in it.  The natural stuff is what apparently is the key.  If your seats are really dried out after the first treatment you do get a slight haze after a few days but another lighter treatment seems to take care of it.  I have not applied it myself or seen the car recently since it has been in winter storage for several months but it looked real good when I stored it.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Jeff: I have used Connolly Hide Care probably for over 40 years, always good results. Made in England but go to Amazon.com they handle the product. Not cheap but I think once you use the product you won`t use anything else.  Bill

Jeff Moffo

Hi Guys,
Bill, will the Connolly's SOFTEN my leather?  My biggest concern is keeping the leather as soft and subtle as possible?
Previous owner did not do anything with the leather and the car spent some time in Miami's heat.  AND NOW...it spends a good cold winter back in NJ!
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey

jsanford

Leatherique oil works well for restoring old dried out leather. I have used it with good results.

http://www.leatherique.com

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Jeff: My use of Connolly Hide Care has mostly been with new or fairly new leather so I am not qualified to say if it will soften all hard and cracked leather. Leather that has dried out and cracked is going to take patience and also maybe trying several different products to see the best results and chances are you will never get all the cracks to disappear. I would go on line with Google and type in " How to soften hard leather" and you will get several remedies. One remedy uses alcohol and Vaseline. My concern is in using some remedies is -does it change the color of my leather.   Bill 

Jeff Moffo

The car's interior is Dark Blue-Green, so I would hate to have any of its color lost. I have seen a LOT worse in cars, but I would like to do what I can now before it ever gets to that point.  My goal is to keep this car as original as possible for as long as possible.  I probably put 400 miles per year on it, so I am not worried about wear and tear just getting it softened.
Have you ever used some of Hirsch's products?  He is in NJ and thought I could just go pick up the products when necessary.
Jeff M
North Jersey

Bill Ingler #7799

Jeff: Bill Hirsch sells good products and yes I have used his products. If Bill sells a leather treatment then I would not hesitate in trying it on your car. My only caveat with any new product I use on any covering material, regardless of who sells it, I find a small area where the material is hidden or not in direct view, apply the treatment as directed and see what happens to the color of the material.    Bill

David Greenburg

Here's another vote for Leatherique.  Their "rejuvenator oil" is specifically designed for this purpose. Haven't used it on my Cad. yet, but had great luck with it on an old MBZ 300SEL.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeff Moffo

Just spoke with Hirsch.  They asked if the leather was cardboard hard, which it isn't...if so, they said the rejuvenator they sell should work...however I will also look into leatherique this weekend.
Jeff M
North Jersey

MB49Caddy

Quote from: jsanford on May 02, 2014, 11:02:53 AM
Leatherique oil works well for restoring old dried out leather. I have used it with good results.

http://www.leatherique.com

Jeremy
Not an expert in this field either, but will say that many of the guys in my other car community (it is an Italian Marque) have often used leatherique with positive results while trying to save or restore leather on cars from the 60's...
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

Barry

Leatherique with many applications in a warm car will improve it over time, though by no means an instant fix. Used it for years ! B.Norman
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Jeff Moffo

I guess the vote is for Leatherique!

Jeff M
North Jersey

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: jbmoffo on May 05, 2014, 09:59:19 AM
I guess the vote is for Leatherique!

Another vote for Leatherique. ;D  Used it when I had my 69 Caddy Limo and did an amazing job on the front seat! 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Jeff Moffo

I'm guessing it was able to add some softness to your leather seats?
Jeff M
North Jersey

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: jbmoffo on May 05, 2014, 05:48:14 PM
I'm guessing it was able to add some softness to your leather seats?

Yes on my Limo.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Barry

Jeff , it does add some softness to the seats, but I have never been able to turn cardboard leather back into supple, soft leather again with it. it DOES help , though, but it takes many applications and time. It does seem to be the best restorative out there , though. Call me if you have any questions, as I've been using their products for over 30 years ! Barry Norman
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible