News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

46 brake shoes?

Started by Smedly, May 19, 2014, 06:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smedly

Does any know if a set of brake shoes from something newer, say from the 70's will fit on a 46-62 rear. My parts store does not have a listing for 46, but can send mine away to be relined. I would prefer not to do this way.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Smedly

Thanks Bill, its $100 an axle to reline, those ones are $54 in shipping alone. I think I am going to go with a Master Kit from Kanter for a total $475. delivered to the door, all rubber lines, Wheel cylinders, shoes and a master cylinder. Then I will be done with the brakes, (except for the "compression fittings the previous owner put in the lines that were to short. I guess he did not have a flairing tool)
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

gary griffin

Sheldon,

At this stage of the game it is a good time to consider a dual master cylinder.  I have them on both  my 40 LaSalle and my 42  Cadillac.  Not authentic but safety trumps authenticity as far as I am concerned.  A kit for your car is available!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Smedly

that's probably a good idea Gary. Who carries that kit? I think I am going with Kanter for a kit dut I can go without master cylinder it that kit and buy the dual master else were.
Sheldon Hay
Sheldon Hay

gary griffin

Club member Art Gardner designed and fabricated several of them for 40's Cadillacs. I think he has some left and he recommends a specific master cylinder to go with them . He is in Georgia.
agardner@gardnergrojj.com is his e- mail address.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver