News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac Fuel Pump Installation

Started by Jon S, May 06, 2014, 11:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

It's been a while since I last installed one and don't want to make any mistakes.  I know there is a push rod the pump rides against, but don't remember how the pump rocker arm interfaces with the push rod.  Does it ride on top as the 1957 Shop Manual implies?  The 1958 Supplement does not address the topic.  Also it says to lubricate the end of the push rod with engine oil.  I thought the engine oil pressure lubricates this location, but have read elsewhere it only receives oil when oil is added via the filler cap.  Responses appreciated.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jon S

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Jon,

I just did my 55 Eldo last weekend.

The lever sticking out of the fuel pump rides on top of the lever inside that fuel pump rod housing.

The rod rides up and down on the cam shaft inside the motor making your pump pump.

Sure add a little oil or grease to the place where the rod and the lever touch. It can't hurt.

Don't forget the gasket between the pump and the housing, I used a little film of permatex where the two meet.

Mike Baillargeon #15848
Mike
Baillargeon

Jon S

Thanks Mike!  Any resistance putting it in if push rod is at lowest point?
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Mike Baillargeon #15848

All the fuel pumps I have put into my 50's Cadillacs over the years never had any real resistance, because the rod doesn't really move up and down a great deal.

It moves just enough to pump that lever on the pump.

So, just get the lever on top of the rod and then put the 2 bolts in and you'll be in good shape.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Dan LeBlanc

I just did my 61 two weeks ago.  Seriously, from start to finish took 15 minutes.  I set the arm on top of the rod, had the bolts protruding enough to hold the gasket, pushed down slightly on the pump to line up the bolts with the holes, started them by hand, and torqued them down.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Thanks guys!  Pump arrived today.  Everything went smoothly, but the mounting bolt closer to the carburetor was a pain in the neck to get a wrench on - bad angle.  I transferred the AC top to the new one.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

That bolt is a pain.  Worse on a car with a/c
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car