News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'53 cadillac carb swap to a holley??

Started by mooman929, May 07, 2014, 08:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooman929

im having my doubts on replacing my 2005S carter 4 brrl, one because they are so rare and 2, they are expensive to replace.  I have a rebuilt 650 cfm holley carb off a 327 small block chevy from 1978.  would this setup work on my 331 with an adaptor?  I was told by a carburetor guy that this wouldn't work and it would run like crap.  I think It was just a gimmick to get me to spend the $1000 dollars on his carb.  any expert advice?  what differences would I see?

signart

I'm sure it would run fine if it's a good carb and you adapted it successfully. The problem might be adapting the TV rod and adjustment for it.
Art D. Woody

The Tassie Devil(le)

Anything is possible, and swapping carbies is a matter of getting everything to work.

As for the Holley for your engine, go for one with a Vacuum Secondary, as you really don't want a "Double-pumper" on an automatic transmission engine.

Here is a picture of my '60 CDV 390 with its' 650 Holley atop a home-made adaptor.

Next, is the TV rod lever arm is just a matter of copying the one you have, and fitting it to the Holley arm, and having the same length of movement as original.

I used a home made adaptor.   But, as the car was RHD, it had a cable throttle link.

Plus, I had to use a Corvette type low slung air cleaner as the '60 had a bit of a problem with hood clearance, but that shouldn't be a problem with the '53.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

mooman929

Thanks guys.  I'm a young buck with little money but trying restore some family history!

signart

Don't be afraid to tackle it. It will be very rewarding to learn and get results from your work. You can run the carb to make sure it runs satisfactorily before you tackle the TV linkage. The throttle linkage should not be too tricky. Your old 331 doesn't care if it's running on a Holley, or Carter, or an Edelbrock.
Art D. Woody

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: mooman929 on May 07, 2014, 09:26:10 PM
Thanks guys.  I'm a young buck with little money but trying restore some family history!

Most of us have been in the same position.  Just do yourself a favor and be sure to keep the original carburetor and related parts in case you decide to go back to original someday when funds permit.

At least you're trying to keep the car running with what you've got.  Hats off.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

mooman929

It will be all original except for the carb.  What do I do about the tube goin from the exhauat manifold to the choke assembly.  Just plug it?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, just plug it, if it is leaking fumes, or if not, just don't use it.   

Either use the manual choke that is on the Holley, or the electric one, but not sure where you would plug that into, as most electric ones I know plug into a terminal on the Alternator.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

txturbo

Way less hassle to just fix the original carb. You can get it rebuilt by a pro for way less than $1000 and probably less than the cost of a Holley and all the hardware to make it work.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

mooman929

I have the original carb and I rebuilt it.  I have a broken ear on the throttle body but can't find one anywhere. Plus I have a rebuilt holley here too

txturbo

get some HTS2000 and weld it up. Or I can give you a phone number to a guy that has tons of old carbs. He probably has a base for it.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK

mooman929

txturbo

Can't get to it right now....but you can go to craigslist for Houston and you will see all his ads for carburetor a in the auto parts section.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK