News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dog on the LaSalle crest ?

Started by 1937 LaSalle coupe, May 12, 2014, 02:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1937 LaSalle coupe

Does anyone know the breed of dog on the LaSalle crest ? Kinda looks like a whippet. Thanks for any replies... John Lehman... CLC# 26365...

C.R. Patton II

Hello John

You pose a good question.

The canine on the LaSalle crest is a whippet.  This is a sighthound breed that originated in England.  It denotes great speed, power and balance.  Theorist could surmise that this was the Harley Earl concept for his LaSalle automobile creation.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Tom Boehm

Hello John, According to the Cadillac Database website the dog on the Lasalle logo is a greyhound. That site has a lengthy history of frenchman Robert Cavelier, Sieur de Lasalle and his family coat of arms which is the logo on the cars.
     After perusing that site a while back, I noticed the Lasalle logo on the Cadillac Lasalle Club website has a horse on it rather than a greyhound! I also noticed this same error in the Self Starter. I brought this to the attention of the editor and he corrected the error on the graphic. Tim Coy forwarded the corrected graphic to the webmaster of the CLC website but it has not been changed yet. The Lasalle logo is posted on the CLC website in nice printable form in the gallery section. Tom Boehm

C.R. Patton II

Hello Tom

I am very grateful for your effort and initiative to disseminate accurate information.   The entire CLC IT and Self-Starter group do a great job of maintaining our Cadillac & LaSalle Club database.

The American Kennel Club lists a whippet as a greyhound.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

veesixteen

The whippet is a breed of greyhound, of which there are multiple varieties. Here's some basic info :

http://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/whats-difference-between-greyhound-and-whippet/44975

The information I have on the LaSalle badge does not differentiate between greyhound and whippet. I guess it's safe to say the dog is a "greyhound", and leave it at that.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Quentin Hall

Greyhound, whippet, I don't  really mind. I'm just relieved that it wasn't a Shetland sheepdog.
Ps Yann, happy birthday last week. Three quarters of a century! Congrats.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Tom Boehm

Hello Lasalle fans, I don't think it matters whether it is a greyhound or a whippet because the logos on the cars are too small to tell the difference. It is definitely not a horse though!

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Here's a nice big picture of the dog. Approx. 5" long. I'm not a dog expert, but whippets & greyhounds have a "roach" back. This dog does not. It looks like some kind of a long legged hound. IMO.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

veesixteen

It's just a "drawing", Bob. I would not rely on it too much to determine the specific breed of dog.
Here are two more "LaSalle" related hounds.
BTW, the background color of the shield is sable (black) and the star & hound are argent (silver).

veesixteen

BTW, the lower image shows the colors of the city of La Salle in Michigan. The artist has taken some liberty with the original 17th century heraldic color scheme.

Art Director

Stay tuned for the next issue of The Self-Starter, which should settle this debate. Turns out neither logo was incorrect. Tim
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Joe Gildea #3736

One of the two top crests on Peter Fuller Cadillac, at 808 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, had a horse instead of a dog.
Peter Fuller raced horses - and had the symbol changed for his building.
The crests were removed from the building when Boston University bought it.
The full-size replica of the crests is at the Lars Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA
- Joe Gildea
Boston

veesixteen

Would you have (or could you get) a photo of that "horsey" crest ?

Yann