News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'73 trunk closure

Started by gross707, May 17, 2014, 07:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gross707

I just bought a '73 Eldo and am wondering about the trunk latching mechanism.  It takes a firm hand to close the trunk which then pulls down about 1/2 inch, very slowly and with a minimum of sound/noise.  On my newer (including a '74) Cadillacs this process was accompanied with more sound and more travel.  My question is: is this normal for the '73 models?  Was there a noticeable change in the trunk closing mechanism between 1973 and 1974?
Thanks,
Gerald
Gerald Ross

TJ Hopland

On a 73 the closure mechanism is a shock like device that rides on a cam on the right trunk hinge.   Its connected to a cable to the latch mechanism.   My guess is over time the shock no longer works line it used to.   I would have to think about the technique I use on mine.  I think I pull the trunk about half way down at any speed I want but then the last have has to be fairly quick but not slammed hard at the end.   If it misses I go back to the half way position and wait for the little shock thing to extend again, you can see it on the right hinge, then try again. 

75 for sure had the electric pull down, not sure if 74 was electric or the shock cable thing.   Don't think there are any reproduction shock things available.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Gerald,

The rule to go by in 1960's and later Cadillacs that I use is, would my Grandmother have been happy with how this feature of the Cadillac operates?  She had a 73 Cadillac and the trunk was no trouble to close.  It is not normal and a repair is required.  I have a 1970 Cadillac and plan to add that auto close option and then I will know more how they work.  Catch you later on that.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Gerald,
From what you say your car is just as the factory intended. As TJ says,your trunk closer is a mechanical device that operates using a (noiseless) cable, bell crank and shock adsorber like tension device.  Its main purpose is to pull the trunk lid down tight, ensuring closure and no noise creating wind noise.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

gross707

Thanks for all the replies.  Having only '74 (and newer) models' mechanisms for comparison I was concerned that my '73 was not working properly but am now reassured that it is.
Gerald
Gerald Ross

TJ Hopland

When I first got my 73 20 some years ago I don't remember needing any special technique to close the trunk.   I seem to remember originally it was like the ones with the electric motor that you would close it so it was latched and then over the next 5-10 seconds you could see it pull down the rest of the way.  Guessing after all these years that shock like mechanism just is not working the way it should which is why I now need a special technique.   It seems like the shock thing is compressing too quickly now which I assume is a result of age and the gas or oil pressure in it is just not what it once was.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The cable that connects the shock (actually
an enclosed spring I believe), is prone to rusting being  metal encased and run under the trunk mat.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-