News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 A/C Compressor won't switch on

Started by Charlie CLC#18187, May 18, 2014, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie CLC#18187

Is there a low pressure cut-off switch on a '56 a/c system?  I am trying to get the a/c running- it's all there and looks to be in good condition.  I am sure the charge is gone and probably compressor seals leak.  The compressor will run if I jump it directly from battery.  If I switch it on with the regular controls, the idle kicks up, but the compressor won't engage.  Power is not going to the compressor through the black wire. 
I won't run the compressor with no charge in it, just want to make sure the circuits are working properly.
Thanks for the help.

Charlie

1956 Coupe de Ville

Jon S

Even with power in black wire, compressor will not kick on unless there is a minimal charge in the system.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

J. Gomez

Charlie,

Check the following post; I’ve uploaded a wiring diagram for the A/C that would help you isolate your problem.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=98421.msg266432#msg266432

There is no low pressure switch in the ’56. If you follow the positive path for the compressor solenoid the +12V is from the 3-way switch and the temperature control lever at the control panel.

If you move the temperature control to max/full the lever wiper (Dark Green) would make contact with the Dark Blue contact extending the +12V up to the evaporator (rear unit) freeze thermostat.

The thermostat contacts should be closed under normal condition, this will extend the +12V back to the control panel via the Black. There is a connector at the control panel hardness which the Black wire is connected to the compressor.

I would start with the control panel; check the temperature control lever, moved the lever to the max/full position and verify the contacts they may be broken or corroded.

Good luck..! 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Charlie CLC#18187

Thanks Jose.  I'll follow your recommendations.  I also checked the thread you started on A5 rebuilding and saw what I could be dealing with.  It is extremely unlikely that mine doesn't need new seals at a minimum, I suppose. 

Charlie   
1956 Coupe de Ville