News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

flathead air cleaners

Started by pcb50, May 22, 2014, 12:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcb50

I recently bought a flathead air cleaner on Ebay and I have a question as I had not noticed this before. The front lip is flattened in an area about 6 in. wide. I thought at first this had been dropped square on it's face. but it is too perfect to be a random drop. Were there different a/c's for different applications? I want to restore this for use on my '46. Thanks.
1946 62 sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Paul: Starting in 42, the water outlets from the heads to the upper radiator tank were moved to the center back of the upper  top tank together with the radiator thermostat. In order to have the front lip of the air cleaner have clearance with this new set up, the front of the 42-48 air cleaner was flattened.  Bill

pcb50

Thank you Bill. The existing [and damaged one] has a round front. This new one will be much nicer and correct for my year. Great!
1946 62 sedan