News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Who's going to the GN from ME, NH, or VT?

Started by Dan LeBlanc, May 23, 2014, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

We're officially driving the Fleetwood to the Grand National.

Just wondering if there's anyone from ME, NH, or VT who would all want to caravan together to get there.  We're staying off the Interstates and going by way of the secondary roads - just like someone would've back in the day.  We're not even bringing a GPS, just a map. 

Our route is taking us through Bangor, ME, out to Skowhegan ME along Route 2, overnighting Monday night Lancaster, NH.  We'll set out Tuesday morning after a good breakfast continuing along Route 2 into VT finally winding up in Lake George.

It would be nice to have some folks join us - nothing like a parade of Cadillacs all spiffied up going through the White Mountains.  Even folks south of that route, if you want to come up and join in, you're more than welcome.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dan LeBlanc

How bad is it, George?

My brakes are new, and the car stops incredibly well, but, now you've got me thinking.

This is the route we have planned - it seems we are skirting the worst of the White Mountains to the North.  I've been up through the mountains starting at North Conway before and I wouldn't want to go that way.

Dan LeBlanc

Jay Friedman

Dan,

I've gone on numerous long trips with my '49 (will drive it to Lake George) and it seems you have too with your car.  Based on my own experience, which includes driving in mountainous areas as well as a preference for back road driving balanced by a "need to get there", I have an alternate suggestion for you.  The "standard" Mapquest route from your area (New Brunswick near Calais, Maine, right?) to Lake George takes you on Maine Route 9 (have been on it several times and not much to see except miles of woods) to I-95 at Bangor, then down to New Hampshire where you get Route 101 to Manchester, then I-89 to Vermont and then Route 4 across picturesque Vermont to Lake George.  It seems to me this is a balanced route, with some interstate highways to get you on your way, interspersed with back roads with some real scenery. 

My own experience it that every time I've done mountain driving with my '49 it got "old" fairly quickly.  Driving that big Cadillac around endless sharp bends is real work, requiring close concentration with little time to enjoy the view.  The other consideration I've always found is that while I do prefer (non-mountainous) back roads, after a while I'll look at the clock or map, realize I'm not making much progress and so will get back on the interstate to speed up.  For that reason, for me I think the best route is along an interstate which has back roads parallel to it so that you can go for a while on one and then switch to the other as your fancy dictates or a route like the above with a mix of both. 

Just my opinion.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dan LeBlanc

We've done several back road trips with the Impala along similar routes - not much over 55 and in no hurry to get there. We only plan on driving half way each day - so basically 5 hours a day on this 10 hour route.

It's relaxed and the Mrs feels much more relaxed on the country roads than on any interstate in an antique.
Dan LeBlanc