News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A6 Compressor O ring seal kit

Started by R Schroeder, May 24, 2014, 08:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

Century Air Auto had a video on how to replace the front seal and all the  O rings in a A6 compressor.
I went to there site to check out the parts, and it seems there is only one set for the O rings ,and the front seal.
I also wanted the new design front seal.
My question is ; Are all A6 compressors the same with regards to these kits ?
Roy

These are there part numbers .
Seal- SK741N , new design
O ring kit - KT-A6N

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c7QXLNqgBU

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Roy,
I am going to suggest you call the vendor that did that video.  They don't seem to keep anything "proprietary" and might have the answer.  I personally believe that all cylinder head inner bores and input shaft sizes were the same, and have never had a problem just installing the new type seal on any compresor that I have re sealed, but perhaps some are different.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

R Schroeder

Thanks Greg,
They don't list there phone number. Just an email. I did email, but due to the holiday weekend, I have not received an answer yet.
The front seal is flinging oil out the past few years, and wanted to replace that. I thought as long as I had the compressor  out, I would do the rest of the O-rings too.
Thought maybe some of the guys here might have done a few A6 compressors, so I thought I would ask.
Roy

Roy,
Each time I do my AC Seminar at the GN's someone asks the question of  "oil slinging" and they don't seem to be satisfied when I tell them it a normal result of the type seal used in refrigeration.  Even the Major AC chiller manufacturers using this type seal on 2 to 5000 ton machines provide a little "drip cup" under the seal to catch the excess oil.  I am very glad they mentioned oil being the actual sealing media in this compressor at least two times.  If oil does not move through the seal it will be dry and wear quickly to the point of failure.
That said, if a seal is worn you will quickly loose your refrigerant charge, but before it gets to that point you will be able to detect a leak with either a Halide torch (if anyone remembers what those are) or an electronic leak detector.
Like I said previously I never had an issue using the new type seals exclusively when re-sealing was required. That is probably about 50 compressors.  Typically before the current supply "drought" a replacement rebuilt compressor was cheap enough and the rebuilders were good enough that replacement was more cost effective than the time to replace the seal.
Again, I would wait for their response.
Their phone number from their website is (520) 792-9077.  Not an endorsement, but just information.  They do however seem to know A-6 compresors.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

R Schroeder

Greg,
I am aware that the seal should have some oil there, but this is getting a little worse than when I bought the car four years ago.
Two years ago I did a evac on the system, and recharged with the correct amount of R12. I went to use the air this last week, and it wouldn't come on. Put about 2-1/2 pounds in it to get her back to cold. I did use the electronic leak detector all over the system, and had some beeping near the seal. Hard to tell if it was the oil setting it off or the Freon. Could not find any other areas that leaked.
I wanted to put that new style seal in her anyway. So, I thought I might as well do the whole compressor. Just wanted to make sure that I got the right O-rings.

ART, thanks for the tip on the other place. I will check with them too.

I didn't plan on doing this until fall, when the car will be shut down for winter. So, this gives me time to check on all of this.
Roy

R Schroeder

Just got an email from that company. He said the o-ring set and seal will work on my car.
Roy

Roy,
Just a suggestion (if you are not doing this already), running the ATC on auto keeps the compressor on at all times and keeps the seal lubricated and leak free (less). I know that your Winters up there do not require a lot of cooling, but when the outside air temperature drops below (about) 32 degrees the compressor will be locked out but it is important to keep that seal lubricated for longevity.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

R Schroeder

Greg, are you referring to the old style seal ? I know that one is much better off running the air.
I want to replace that with the new style seal. That one is not a two piece, as you might know.
I do have my air on auto whenever I go someplace. I like it cold in the car when I travel, and the wife talks a lot less.....ha

Roy

Roy,
All mechanical refrigeration seals work the same way with a film of oil actually doing the sealing, so they ALL should be run frequently.  The difference in (there have been several changes since the A-6 was introduced) is in the materials and the construction of the seal.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

R Schroeder

Finally got around to re-doing the compressor.
All is good , and its blowing cold cold  air.
Not to bad of a job. Gave it a new label and some new paint.

Roy

Thanks Greg and Art for your input.