News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

74 eldo carb., bad idle

Started by Viator Trudeau, May 26, 2014, 11:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

As posted before about bad idle caused by cyl's fed by rt. side of carb.
took carb apart, wire and air thru every orfice and tube, and soaked in llaqoer thinner over night.,  am checking for gasket surfaces to be flat.  Bottom of bowl apx. .oo6 out of being flat, do you think the gasket will seal up well enough.  The primary throttle shaft has .002 of slop. too much??  A bushing kit is available, I think the installation of the bushing requires machine shop accuracy.  These noted issues can be the cause of my bad idle.   V. Trudeau     #8697                                                               

TJ Hopland

If you also buy the special drill bit that is often sold with the bushing kit it can be a project for a fairly capable diy person but the cost is usually high enough that you got to be planning on doing several carbs to make it worth it vs just taking it somewhere and having it done.

As for the bowl problem I don't know.   I don't do enough work where I have to measure things to know if that is a lot or not.   Usually the base plate to intake is the bigger problem area because of the fairly thin sealing areas.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

I don't know if .002 is enough slop to require bushing of the throttle shaft but I have the bushing kit and have done the Q-jet in one of my cars with good results.  The way the reamer in the kit is used the kit provides the accuracy required, the services of a machine shop are not necessary.
The bushing kit will service several carbs, I have already loaned the kit to a friend and still have bushings left.  One could have the carb professionally rebuilt and the bushings done at that time but I rebuilt my own in this case so the bushing kit was worth the money to me.

The company linked below sells bushing kits for 1 carburetor ($29.00) or for 5 carburetors ($129.00) ---

http://quadrajetcarburetors.com/

Or, you can Google  quadrajet throttle shaft bushing kit for many other Q-jet parts sources.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Gene Beaird

.006" is not that much.  The gasket will make up the difference.  The .002, while noticible, isn't that much either, and you can certainly make up any air leaks by idle mixture changes. 

Since you have the carburetor apart, I'd seal up the metering well plugs and put things back together. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Viator Trudeau

Hello all posters;;   on adjusting float level on my '74 ELDO the shop manual calls for 23/64" down from top of bowl to top of float.  Thats a 64" less than 3/8".  Thats the demention given in the shop manual, what tolerance is acceptable??  Having had the air horn off I fill ed the bowl till the needle was closed, the float rides high in the fuel so the actual level was at least 1/2' lower.  Iv'e been putting kits in carb. since 1960 (still need to know more).  Any thoughts on this??  before I cut down the shade tree.
V. Trudeau  #8697

TJ Hopland

I set them by flipping the carb upside down.   

On the Q jets lately I have seen it quite a few times where the arms of the float hit that black plastic plug thing before the needle fully seats.   I check then first without the plug in then again with the plug to make sure there is no change and there is a slight clearance with the needle seated.  If it does not clear a little work on the plastic with a file or dremel like tool does the trick.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason