News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 a/c temp control resistance

Started by Charlie CLC#18187, May 28, 2014, 09:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie CLC#18187

Well I really messed up and broke the  rheostat coil bar on the temp control while taking it apart to clean up.  I need to obtain a replacement, but have to be sure it works.
What is the low end resistance it should produce?
I assume there should be no resistance at the high, full-on end (?).
Appreciate the help in setting me straight.  I'm not the greatest on electrical stuff. 

Charlie
1956 Coupe de Ville

J. Gomez

Charlie,

Did the wire broke or the insulator?

The wire is called resistance/heating/NiChrome wire; the overall resistance for the control is about 67 ohms a higher resistance 70 or 75 ohms would be fine.

I do not recall the wire thickness you may need to check yours and match the one available for gauge and the resistance per foot.

The problem with NiChrome is that it can’t be solder so it has to be mechanical connected; there is also a constantan wire which it can be solder. I’ve used the NiChrome to refurbished a couple of controls with no problems since the end is mechanical connected.

Just one caution is the insulator would be extremely brittle so use care in winding the new wire. Also take pictures of yours as the first turns are space and the middle and ends are wound closer to each other.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Charlie CLC#18187

Jose- The insulator is broken.  I'm trying to locate a control unit with a good coil (or whatever the correct name is).  Thanks for the input on resistance.

Charlie
1956 Coupe de Ville

J. Gomez

Charlie,

If you decide on restoring yours the insulator can be made with a piece of Phenolic board (you can also use an electronic PCB board) with the same thickness and reused the same wire.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

walt chomosh #23510

Charlie,
  I broke my insulator(1955) and repaired it by using a spot of epoxy....walt...tulsa,ok

Charlie CLC#18187

I will see if I can repair it, but I am trying to get a replacement.

Would the rheostat from a '53-'55 be the same?   Same as other GM?

thanks
Charlie
1956 Coupe de Ville

J. Gomez

Quote from: Charlie CLC#18187 on May 29, 2014, 01:27:48 PM
I will see if I can repair it, but I am trying to get a replacement.

Would the rheostat from a '53-'55 be the same?   Same as other GM?

thanks
Charlie

Charlie,

The 1955 would as it shares the same function from it over to the thermostat. What I'm not sure if the length would fit in the ’56 and for the wiper to fully travel the complete arch.  ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Charlie CLC#18187

I got the coil back in one piece using super glue and epoxy.  I lost one loop (wire is still intact in back), but it seems to work.
67 ohms on low and about 20 before it goes to full contact. 
I have not gotten to check voltage to the compressor yet, but the freeze switch is verified to be closed. 

Once I get power to it, how long should I run it before I know whether or not it is charged?
1956 Coupe de Ville