News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37 50 panhard rod

Started by sly37, May 29, 2014, 07:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sly37

Would anybody know the "proper" way to adjust this bar? Mine is maxed with no threads left. When I let the throttle off at cruising speeds the car shifts to one side, somewhat unsettling. I have new bushings for it but the ones in there appear to be in good shape. This is coupe.

D schroeder

joeceretti

Check your axle, it may not be where it should be making the bar the wrong length. This was a problem with my 38. I loosened the nuts holding it in place and used ratchet straps to pull it back into spec. That way I could do it myself.

I am assuming you are talking about the stabilizer bar on the rear axle. When it is out of line the car will behave as you described.

sly37

The spring centering pins are where they should be. Perhaps im not understanding. I know the adjustment is sensitive. Could that small amount "1/8" inch make that difference?

D schroeder

Steve Passmore

This rod should be set with full load on the car including the spare and not jacked up. Loosen right off both ends and let the car sit naturally, bounce it up and down a few times and let it settle then adjust both ends in that position. Both eyelets should be about half way on the threads by then.   Do not tighten the outside nuts down, just wind them up till their comfortable against the bushing and not pulling the axle one way or the other, then wind up the inside nut to just clamp the bushings.  Car must be sat naturally.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe