News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40 LaSalle Headlamp wiring harness to right fender

Started by csearider, May 29, 2014, 11:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

I am wiring a 40 LaSalle with wiring harness and need to know where the right headlamp assembly wiring harness is routed from left side of vehicle to right side of vehicle. The easiest would be on frame directly underneath the front pulleys or underneath radiator, but heat factor does not seem reasonable., and there are no hanging clamps there. The is a square slot in crossmember on both sides but this would have wiring outside frame. Does anyone know how the harness routes from left of vehicle to right side?

Tom Boehm

Hello, The wiring harness goes up the side and along the top of the radiator and down the left side.  There are bendable metal tabs on the radiator to hold the wire in place.

Tom Boehm

csearider

thanks, heat from radiator is not a problem on wiring harness?

csearider

I have radiator out and in vehicle several times and did not see any tabs....this is a new wiring  installation and do not have original in place to see. Anyone have wiring drawing of front harness or a picture of installed harness?

Doug Houston

I think you'll find that the right hand part of the harness should route across the firewall below all of the othe stuff that is installed. After the harness gets to the right side, you route it forward to the terminal board where it connects.

That was pretty much Cadillac's harness routing until 1941, where   that harness was routed up and around the radiator frame. I never liked it, but That was the way it went.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

csearider

Yes, you are correct the harness does go across lower part of firewall. However, this is the part of the harness that goes to the starter and starter solenoid and stops there. The headlamp harness goes straight out of firewall with rest of harness assembly but travels down inside of left fender, whereas it splits one goes to left headlamps and right split goes to right headlamps. I believe it must go under radiator frame and would be held in with bendable tabs, but I cannot locate any tabs (they may have been broken off after 74 years). It would have to be originally held with tabs to keep it from moving around. I am still looking.....If someone with a 40 LaSalle could locate their tabs on their vehicle, this would confirm proper location and then I could make some type of clip to properly hold the right headlamp harness...proper location is important to ensure authenticity.

csearider

Well I stand corrected! Tom Boehm was absolutely correct...the wiring harness for rt side lamps goes up left side of radiator, across and down right side. Who would've thunk!?!...some one previously routed harness under frame incorrectly. It really had me confused and wiring is correct now. Thanks Tom!..and all others that contributed!

las39

Just a quick question. Was the harness originally just a bunch of loose wiring? Or rapped with cloth tape or fitted in cotton flex ?
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Tom Boehm

Hello Mo, I will quote from the Authenticity Manual to answer your question. It describes it better than I could. "A black cotton braided harness is used for '39 and '40. The individual wires were originally rubber coated wire that had a lacquer coated woven cotton covering. They were color coded with different color coverings or tracer threads. Modern wire is available with plastic inner coating to replace the rubber and having the same type of woven cotton and tracer outer covering. "
I added:
The black cotton outer covering bundles together many wires inside. The harness gets thinner farther away from the firewall as it contains fewer wires.

las39

So, I'm supposed to read the manual?  :P Thanks Tom.
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

csearider

I replaced entire harness headlamps to taillights with pre-maid harness from Y n Z. Not cheap! But easy to install as each wire is labeled to master sheet where it goes. The job is still in progress and is tedious and frustrating. For those interested the dash was taken out of vehicle. If one takes the dash out it is necessary to also take the windshield out as top of dash is behind the glass. Also the taillight wiring harness goes behind headliner at top of driver side door sill which means the sill hide needs to be removed and headliner pulled back. I did this myself and have learned that there are so many items and tasks involved that it should not be taken on lightly. I do now have ability to answer particulars about the job if anyone is interested.