News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Care and storage of painted parts until each is re-installed

Started by BillR. CLC # 29203, May 30, 2014, 02:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillR. CLC # 29203

Re: '59 Series 62
Painted the horns, steering column underdash support, power and E Brake assemblies, etc... Once they cure I want to pack them up so they don't get nicked or mismanaged until the car gets reassembled. Wrap each in newspaper or bubble wrap before placing in boxes? Which one or do you have another suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Bill R. 
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

Dan LeBlanc

I like to use old towels or sheets. Much gentler on new paint.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

BillR. CLC # 29203

Dan,
Excellent!!!!!
I might go with brand new Shop Towels so when our son unpacks them he will get a little bonus.
BillR.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

59-in-pieces

Bill,
Irrespective what you decide to wrap your painted parts in, I would be sure the paint is absolutely dry, before you wrap them.
If the paint is a little thicker in one place or another, the paint may not be hard and solid all the way around or through.
The wrapping material - even on its own - will not be smooth and if the parts are stacked on one another, the wrapping material and the part shapes themselves may leave dents, grooves, and be stuck to the paint when the paint has really dried.
How do I know this, early on I ended up repainting SOME parts.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

BillR. CLC # 29203

Steve B.,
Excellent points.
Our son is restoring this car while raising a family, a career etc.....you know the drill. So I'm betting for me to hold on to them until they cure won't effect the process.
Thanks for your reply and insight.
Bill R.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be staying away from anything plastic as this could harbour condensation over time, unless you use a good drier to absorb any moisture.

Plus, make sure you lay the parts down on their backs if at all possible.   And don't stack.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

BillR. CLC # 29203

Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Jim Stamper

I hang fresh parts on peg board hooks. They are in the air that way, I hang a sheet of clear plastic in front of it. I also have an open metal shelving cabinet, the parts go on the shelves, unwrapped and clear plastic around the thing with overlap in the front so I have easy access.

They take up more room that way of course, but I confess, I like to see fresh parts, they remind me I haven't been slacking.

I also do my bead blasting, priming and painting as each part or system, comes off. Before the next part comes off, the previous part or system assembly is ready to re-install. This seems to work for me, we all have our ways, whatever works best.

Jim Stamper  CLC#13470