News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

Started by MIKIMBIN1, March 28, 2024, 09:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKIMBIN1

Hi I try to Install the Gabriel 82125 Rear shock absorbers and the top Bolt is too short, any good source and brand and model recomended?
Thanks
Vic Fdez
Vic@59Caddy.me

David Greenburg

Is that the Gabriel Classic? If so I just finished installing a set on my '60. I wound up re-using the old top bushing since it was already compressed and the rubber seemed healthy. You could also try slicing a little bit off the replacement bushings. It still took a number of tries before I got the nut to "catch" on the threads. The shocks come with universal bushings. I'm guessing the originals were slightly thinner.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

MIKIMBIN1

Yes Gabriel Classic.
Vic Fdez
Vic@59Caddy.me

cadman59

Quote from: David Greenburg on March 29, 2024, 05:00:07 AMYou could also try slicing a little bit off the replacement bushings. It still took a number of tries before I got the nut to "catch" on the threads. The shocks come with universal bushings. I'm guessing the originals were slightly thinner.

That's what I did when I replaced the shocks on my '59 two years ago. Also with these Gabriel Classics.
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

David Greenburg

For some reason I didn't see the JPEG when originally replying. Duh. I do recall seeing somewhere that sells the shock bushings. Probably Steele or Rubber the Right Way. They might be thinner. Anyway, I'm looking forward to test driving my car with the new shocks as soon as the rain stops here. The old ones didn't make the car "bouncy" but there were some odd noises, and when I took them off, a couple had no compression at all; they just stayed at whatever position you pushed them to.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Clewisiii

Quote from: David Greenburg on March 29, 2024, 04:33:42 PMFor some reason I didn't see the JPEG when originally replying. Duh. I do recall seeing somewhere that sells the shock bushings. Probably Steele or Rubber the Right Way. They might be thinner. Anyway, I'm looking forward to test driving my car with the new shocks as soon as the rain stops here. The old ones didn't make the car "bouncy" but there were some odd noises, and when I took them off, a couple had no compression at all; they just stayed at whatever position you pushed them to.
. Well that would be the correct behavior of original hydraulic shocks.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

David Greenburg

I don't believe the ones I removed were hydraulic; they weren't that old. Fronts were Monroe Sensa-track and rears were Delcos (not Pleasurizers) with the current logo on them.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville