News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Coupe Deville roof leak

Started by jmart67, May 31, 2014, 06:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmart67

My 76 Coupe Deville has the padded top. I have water leaking from the back right rear glass into the trunk. I poured water all over until I located the leak. I am wondering if there is a clogged drain or should I just put clear caulk around the rear glass to keep water from coming in? If I use the caulk, I am afraid that water will pool in the crease of the roof and rear glass and make a worse problem. Anyone with a similar problem? Ideas?

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am thinking that you are in for a bit of heartache, especially if you pull the glass and find the frame all rusted out.

There is no drain, and these years, actually from the onset of the "glued-in windows" was the worst design that GM produced.

Plus, the padded roof was the second-worst design invented.   Virtually guaranteed rust.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jmart67

I am the third owner. Yes, I suspect rust. I can see where an application of expanding foam was sprayed up into this area from the trunk. I also found that the radio speakers were damp. I think I'll prepare to patch until I can get a new roof/back glass application. Thanks!

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Being the eternal optimist that I am I am going to suggest that you have the rear glass pulled out (by a glass shop) and see what the problem is.  It IS possible that just re sealing the glass will take care of the leak IF it hasn't gone to the point that others point out which are common in this era car.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think it was 1965 that began the "bad" design for the rear window.   There was no drain, and the water just lay in the corners.

The first picture is a '66, and both corners were bad.   Looked good, until I removed the glass.

The second picture is what happens when the vinyl roof is left on, and the owner neglected the first signs on rustification, then put a fibreglass patch over it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

What a vinyl top with thick padding can do to the windshield header ---

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

If you press around the area in question, does it feel crunchy?  Crunchy being the best way I can decribe it.  Sure sign of rust if it does.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

john801

Quote from: jmart67 on May 31, 2014, 06:58:35 PM
My 76 Coupe Deville has the padded top. I have water leaking from the back right rear glass into the trunk. I poured water all over until I located the leak. I am wondering if there is a clogged drain or should I just put clear caulk around the rear glass to keep water from coming in? If I use the caulk, I am afraid that water will pool in the crease of the roof and rear glass and make a worse problem. Anyone with a similar problem? Ideas?

Hopefully it didn't cause too much damage to the car..
TJ