News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 four barrel Carb

Started by Chad Oolman, June 01, 2014, 12:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

Wondering if anyone on this message forum has the training manual for the 1958 Cadillac Rochester Carb?  I know one was made, and have seen it on ebay a few times.  I recently had the carb rebuilt on my 58 Fleetwood and would like to know what the factory's advice was on adjusting it.  Right now we are just kind of guessing based on what we know about other carbs.  Any help of advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

35-709

I don't have a '58 shop manual but I do have a '56 and the information you seek is in there (for '56) for either carb, Rochester or Carter.  So I will assume that the information for the '58 will be in the '58 manual as well, shouldn't need what I would think is a hard-to-find Rochester Training Manual.  Here is a shop manual on eBay, cheap at twice the price, IMO, and full of info on the whole car, as well the carb(s).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1958-CADILLAC-SHOP-MANUAL-SERVICE-REPAIR-BOOK-RESTORATION-DEVILLE-ELDORADO-/310696528583?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1958|Make%3ACadillac&hash=item4856f4cac7&vxp=mtr
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Ed Eckhart #12747

The 1957 Shop Manual contains over 20 pages of info about the Rochester 4 barrel Carb. There was no complete Shop Manual for 1958 per se...instead, they issued a 1958 Shop Manual Supplement that was designed to be used in conjunction with the 1957 Manual. Additionally, the Cadillac Serviceman Bulletins for 1957-58 contained a number of revisions to the original suggested settings for this carb contained in the 1957 Manual as well as solutions to a number of problems, including flooding, hard starting, stalling, etc. You can purchase the Serviceman Bulletins online as well.