News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Front Window clipping rear window when shutting door

Started by indetrucks, June 02, 2014, 09:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indetrucks

My 1959 Coupe Deville's pass. front window is just barely clipping the rear window when shutting the door. It clearly needs adjustment as it looks as if it's sagging?

I already ordered a new pass. front window as the glass cracked. Is this an easy adjustment which can be done when I go to install the new front pass. window?

Thanks in advance!
C. Reedyhoff

Blade

Had to do the same with my drivers window on my sedan which was also cracked. Adjustments are really simple, three screews, one towards the bottom of the door and two on the edge (I put white arrows to point to them). Crank your window all the way down, get the mounting screws out and the glass should slide out on the top easy. Once you put the new window in start playing with the adjustment screws rolling your window up and down and you'll get it right. Far as replacing the window really the hardest part was getting the rusty screws to turn. Good luck!

indetrucks

Thanks so very much, sounds pretty straight forward. Appreciate the help and picture!
C. Reedyhoff

curly

When I replaced the power window motor in my 59, I had some trouble getting the window realigned properly.
I found the 3 bolts indicated by the red arrows to be the most effective in adjusting the window.  The center bolt adjustment had a very noticible effect on the windows tilt forward/rear.
T Lewis

indetrucks

So I got the window out (what a breeze, thanks)

How do I get the glass out of the channel? Do I heat the rubber around the glass and just yank? Do I drill the two rivets out on the bracket and then yank?  I guess I could "smash" it out?  haha 
Would rather not though....
C. Reedyhoff

Joe Puleo CLC #13617

lay a small piece of 2X4 flat on the glass up against the frame. Hit the 2X4 towards the frame with a hammer and the frame will easily separate from the glass.
Joe Puleo

indetrucks

Quote from: Joe Puleo CLC #13617 on June 11, 2014, 01:40:52 PM
lay a small piece of 2X4 flat on the glass up against the frame. Hit the 2X4 towards the frame with a hammer and the frame will easily separate from the glass.

This is exactly what I ended up doing!
I tried re-using the old seal but my new glass was a tad bit thinner.  Ordered some new material from Caddydaddy, hopefully that helps hold the glass nice and tight in the frame.
C. Reedyhoff

Joe Puleo CLC #13617

the new glass that's being sold is only 3/16" thick, original glass was 1/4". I found a local automotive glass shop that had no problem getting the 1/4" with the correct green tint. He even did the LOF markings for me. Besides being the wrong thickness, the side glass for a 4 door 6 window was not cut correctly and it didn't fit. Wrong size and large radius corners, it was a nightmare.  I ended up keeping just the windshield and throwing all of the side glass out. Bring your original side glass to a local glass shop and have them use it as a template.
Joe Puleo