News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Has anyone seen Mrs. Kaiser's 1960 convertable?

Started by CZ10, June 03, 2014, 07:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZ10

One fall weekend of 1959, my family was at Sheppard Cadillac in Berkeley, CA., taking delivery on a new-to-us 57 Sedan de Ville that had about 1800 miles. That car is below - that's me - the youngest, and my two brothers Dick and Bob.

I remember walking over to a 59 Sedan de Ville or Fleetwood sitting on the lot and seeing the price sticker of nearly $5,000!!! Holy Cow - that's a LOT of money!!

The salesman asked if we wanted to see something special. He took us into the service department through a door off the lot. Service was closed because of the weekend so it was rather dark, but I think it made what he had to show us more dramatic. Sitting there with the top down was a brand new white 60 Convertible. It had been ordered by Henry J. Kaiser as a present to his wife. What made is "special" was the seats were covered in a white material patterned with red roses about 8" in diameter. What made it extra special was laying in the passenger side corner of the rear seat was a sun parasol of the same fabric. Apparently she was crazy about roses.

I often wonder what became of that car. They had a large estate in the East Bay, but had taken up residence in Hawaii in 1956 - so it is possible that the car ended up there.

hmmmm - I KNOW I entered my full name when I registered...

Don Melcher
Don Melcher

Glen

I visited the Kaiser Estate on Oahu a couple of times including the air conditioned dog house.  The place is amazing.  But I did not see any old Cadillacs. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104