News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - recommended struts

Started by Scot Minesinger, June 07, 2014, 02:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

I am charged with preparing a well cared for FWD 1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille with 102k miles for sale.  It is a one owner car everything works including a/c and windows, but power antenna does not.  Bought the shop manual on e-bay today.  Looking for advise on:

1.  The car needs new struts, is that a big job, I replaced struts once on a Chev Celebrity FWD  , so if it was like that it is OK.-anything to look out for.

2.  Is it a timing belt or chain on the 4.9? 

3.  Any other advise to make it as trouble free mechanically for new buyer as possible?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dave Shepherd

Some cars had ride adjustable struts, check this. If  not it, is not  to tough but you will need to swap springs, or buy the complete spring and strut assy. and you will need an alignment. Google has plenty of videos on the how to. Car has a chain. Due for plugs, wires, throttle body clean, fuel filter, trans service, coolant flush.

936CD69

Scot, ditto on everything Dave listed, plus I would check condition of 22 y/o brakes hoses and lines. Computer Command Ride was a rare option for 91-92 deVilles (standard on 91-93 Fleetwoods and Sixty Specials, 93 deVilles) Look for option FX3 on the option label in the trunk (under the mat on the spare tire cover). IF it has it, you will have to use passive struts as no one has made the electric struts for years. You will have to follow a Cadillac bulletin on shutting off the Service CCR light on the dash, which I could email a copy for you.

I would strongly recommend using complete struts which come with new springs and upper mount/bearings. Eliminates the need for special tools and the bearings are usually worn since they carry the weight of the front of the car, Either way as Dave pointed out, you'll need to have a 4 wheel alignment done.

HTH,

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Scot Minesinger

The car has been dealer maintained and will have full repair receipts in a few days.  Hopefully fluids and all are good.  Will get prices on the struts with springs and bearings plus alignment and see where it comes out.

Also looks like power antenna is bent and will need to replace it.  Guess best bet is used, NAPA or Rock Auto is not going to have it right?

936CD69

There are NOS and good used antennas on ebay all the time. If you need the options decoded, send me a picture of the option label. I am (slowly) researching for the Authenticity manual for these cars
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Scot Minesinger

Found history on this 1992 Cadillac and it appears that the struts were changed about a dozen years ago (and maybe 20k miles ago)  not positive.  Anyway the ride is very bouncing indicating to me that the dampening of the springs is inadequate.  Plus cannot be sure that when struts were replaced, springs were too.  It is not an FX3 car.  Questions:

1.  Is it possible that the bouncy ride is something else?
2.  Is ten years normal replacement cycle for struts?
3.  In replacing struts with complete spring and bearing assembly looks like I can choose between A/C Delco, Gaberial, and Monroe.  Authenticity and cost aside and going strictly for quality, want durable product with good ride, which brand is best?  Do you have another suggestion on brand?
4,  Is the back just shocks?

936CD69

Scot, I have the full service history on my 93. The struts were changed 3 times in the late 90s /early 2000s, I suspect because the service SSS light came on. Now at 89K it seems a bit bouncy to me. I work at an independent garage, we have used Monroe, KYB and Delco struts. Without fail the Monroe Sensa Trak quick struts seems to be the best in ride quality. The rears are still called struts, but the spring is not part of the strut, but rather mounted between the body and lower control arm. Most of the time the rears fail because the air bladders for the auto level ride develop a leak causing the compressor to run frequently. If you change out the rears, make sure to get ones with the new upper mount. In my area Monroe has a current buy 3 struts get the 4th free promotion. I suspect it is a nationwide deal so worth checking into.
May I ask what color is the car? Any idea of eventual asking price. I have been kicking around the idea of buying a nice driver...

Craig

CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Scot Minesinger

Craig,

This car has been donated to our club and we get the proceeds.  The major (and I mean this is the deal) stipulation from the donating entity is that the person who buys it from us must be interested in enjoying the car and keeping in good repair, preferably housing it in a garage, treasuring it as her Mother did.

The car is white with maroon/dark red interior.  I can photograph the trunk tag that has all the options.  The buyer will be second owner.  The interior is near perfect, radio and a/c work.  All the electronic readings, instant fuel mileage and etc work too.  It has the 4.9 and has nice power.  the white paint has not held up on the back section between trunk and rear window.  The paint is presentable but not perfect. 

The car is very well serviced, but I wanted to make it perfect.

I think we will do well to get 2 or 2.5k out of it with that restriction.  I can send more pictures, here is the engine, just washed it.

Call or e-mailto discuss further 703-283-2021,rscotm@cox.net

936CD69

CLCMRC Benefactor #302