News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67 DeVille steering noise "HELP!!"

Started by lou-q, June 07, 2014, 04:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

When I turn the wheel on our 67 DeVille sometimes it makes a squeaky humming noise especially when parking and turning at a slow speed.
It seems to be coming from the steering column, but you know how sound travels it could be somewhere else.
Anyone familiar with the problem and how to fix it?
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Dave Shepherd

Can we assume the fluid is full and the belt is tight?

lou-q

Yep, the fluid is full and the belt tight. And the belt doesn't look glazed so I don't think it's slipping but it's old.
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Is it an a/c car?  Mine is OK until the first time I turn the a/c on.  Then it squeals horribly for 5 seconds or so. 
Put a mark on the pulley with a piece of chalk so that you can see how the pulley is turning.  Then have someone turn the wheel side to side.  See if the chalk mark slows or stops for a split second when you hear the noise.  That will tell you if it is a belt problem.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

lou-q

Thanks Jeff,
I'll try that tomorrow.
The sound seems to come from the steering column.
I'll report back tomorrow.
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Julien Abrahams

Could also be your steering pump. I don't think they are horribly expensive, ,so you might be well off buying a rebuilt one.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Scot Minesinger

If you do find yourself in need of a power steering pump be prepared for some bad ones, I mean they become loud audible tachometers.  The power steering change is not bad, except that in most cases for me it takes two or three of them to get one that is not noisy.  The only time I had a one time install is when I bought a USA Parts pump for like $150 as opposed to the $50 NAPA or Rock Auto products.  I'm talking top down 60mph and you hear it noisy, or top up 30mph and really dominates anything you hear noisy. 

I think if I change another it will be a USA Parts one just to save time.  Maybe a Rock Auto if labor reimbursement is included in warranty-unlikely-but if offered for sale buy it.

Also don't use a puller to get the pulley off the pump shaft or you will bend it, it must be pressed off. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Gene Beaird

IFF the noise is coming from the pump, you might be able to help the situation some by replacing the fluid in the reservoir.  We have a 95 Caprice that's very hard on the power steering components.  The pump will start groaning in slow speed turns, and I'll replace the fluid.  I use a turkey baster with a piece of vacuum hose stuck to the end so I can get as much sucked out of the reservoir as I can, then I refill it with Red Line Synthetic PSF.  It lasts about 2 years like that, and has kept me from having to replace the noisy pump for about 6 years now.  Try it, it might help. 

Otherwise, you're probably looking at replacing the pump. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873