News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Convertible top replacement

Started by Mr cadillac, June 08, 2014, 10:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr cadillac

Hello. Looking for some advice. I need to put a new convertible top on my 71 Eldorado the car came with a glass back window, but I have heard stories of the glass shattering. I am thinking of putting on a top without it. Any thoughts? The top would only be up for storage in the winter. Would there be a cost savings in switching over? Thanks for the input. Norman.
Norman Jenney......Mr Cadillac

The Tassie Devil(le)

Firstly, I would advise contacting a place that has done these top replacements, and see the sort of jobs that they have done, and if you can, see if they will let you help, without hindering.

Secondly, replace everything, including the Sound Deadener, the stowage boot, and the drain, and the side pads.

Retain the glass rear window, but make sure all the retracting mechanism is in place, and working.   The main reason for glass breakage is when someone puts the top down without first making sure that the area in the trunk, under the folded roof is clear of obstructions.   Leave something big there, and the glass WILL break.

If you are going to re-use the original glass, if the bonded surrounding material looks a bit off colour, or not exactly the same, replace the whole lot.

It isn't rocket science, but it isn't impossible to do it yourself, if you follow the GM instructions, but prior knowledge is of great assistance.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

colinlikens

Thanks Bruce for the very simple but important suggestion of being mindful about obstructions in the trunk.   I've read other members' posts describing the unhappy situation of a broken rear window and thus have approached use of the top cautiously without knowing anything in particular to be aware of.

1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

TJ Hopland

Having the mechanism cleaned and lubricated at the same time is a good idea.   I had mine done when I had the top done last fall.   It operates much smoother now.  The shop guys said as usual what lube was left in everything was pretty much just solid chunks so it was not doing any good.  I believe several of the components are plastic so they likely need all the help they can get to survive especially as they age.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason