News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Front, lower spherical joint dust boots

Started by Julien Abrahams, June 12, 2014, 03:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Hey guys,
I have a question about the lower spherical joint boots for a '67 DeVille. Are they available? Up until now, the places where I have looked do not supply just the dust boots, only complete spherical joints. Where can I get them? I just want to make sure I have the right ones before I take everything apart only to find out that I can't get new ones :S. 
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

beastly beauties

Julien,  I am assuming you don't require an entirely new ball joint due to premature boot failure. Try to get an accurate measurement of your old requirements by measuring the joint and or the old boot if possible. You can do this without disassembly by cutting off what's left of your old boot. If you don't have a digital caliper to accurately measure, Harbor Freight has them in stainless steel for $9.99 right now. There are many boot replacements out there and you may find a replacement that was made to fit another make and model vehicle not even close to the Cadillac family. Google," ball joint dust boots" and click on the image tab on top of result page. Then go into the sites and find one that has a specification chart. You may be pleasantly surprised what you find. It might even be a replacement for a "1972 Pinto" that matches your dimension requirements. I have had to replace boots on a "brand new pair of moog ball joints"  that never saw the road yet for my 1971 Eldorado with a boot made for something entirely different. Without further research on my behalf I can't recall what it was but it was a pretty darn close and does the job required.  The poly type boots would be the ultimate replacement being they are produced with durable polymers that can hold up to elements found in lubricants, and flexibility not known in OEM products of their day. Try polysuspensionparts.com for these, but you will need dimensions. It may take a little research but I believe you will find what you need. Who knows, in the end you may be able to pick up what you find will work at your local auto parts store for the next couple of decades. Hope this helps.      David Symonds

Julien Abrahams

Sorry for the late reply. Yes this helps! ;). For now, I am most likely going to seal it using a kind of liquid rubber used at my local garage. It only has to hold for a couple of months (not more than a couple of hundred miles). I've had a couple of set backs in the last year, so I haven't been able to drive it for more than a year, which is now getting frustrating. But, at the end of this year, I will do just that (measure and replace with something as close the same).
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett