News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

42 Cad 6269D - How many were made?

Started by James Gray, June 13, 2014, 12:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gray

I read some information today I hadn't seen before but the information was vague to say the least.

It read, 'Once again, a De Luxe version of the Series 62 sedan  was available.  It was termed style #6269D.  Production totaled 1743 units; each one cost $1836. Of the De Luxe sedans in the Series 62 group, 84 units were crated knocked down.'

This information came from a website calling itsself Cadilacdatabase.org. A Holding of the Museum and Research Center of the Cadilac & Lasalle Club, Inc.

I am assuming the information is warranted but do not recall seeing it in my Authenticity Manual but  I am in the Japan demonstrating the Sirkorsky S-70 and the manual is at home.

Does this information hold water and if so, how many of these De Luxe Sedans were made and how many are known to exist today.

Furthermore, I have done a lot of work toward (mostly little stuff) to bring this baby ready for driving and showing. She was there already but I needed to make sure for myself and my family's safety. However, my wife has way to much useless crap she refuses to part with. Meaning; of my two oversize 2 car garages, I have no room for the caddy. Although it looks great, the patina is starting to expand and I do not want that. I am tossing around the idea of selling her so as to keep her alive instead of rotting in the california sun. That would be the car, not the wife. Beside, you couldn't possibly afford my wife. She's a shopper. A car cover even of the highest quality is not sufficient enough. I had a show truck ruined thinking that would work. The car is virtually 100% original with the exception of the radiator and heater hoses, fan belt and plugs and wires. Starts on a dime and drives like Grandma's sofa. What could I honestly expect to get for her?

I'm not interested in statistical information because that does not apply to a vehicle where recent historical data is based on the sale of 10 cars in 10 years.

The drive train is perfect, brakes and axles-perfect, interior 99% perfect, the body-few randon dents and dings and bad paint repair in a couple spots, chrome great for matching the patina (complete if you wish to fully restore which would take little to do) front bumper is slightly twisted as Carl tried to pull another vehicle out of a ditch with it once way way back when..., glass-needs passenger side windshield, needs door and truck seal. Might be good to replace the fender welts as they are very dry.

Your thoughts?

Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494
1942 Cadillac Series 6269

gary griffin

James,

First I am sorry to hear that you may sell your car. Of the 3590  total 6269 sedans produced in the 1942 model year   1743  were 6269D  deluxe versions. Including yours which is not showing in the 2014 Directory there are a total of 3 in the club at this time.  There were an additional 84 deluxe sedans marked CKD which means Knocked Down for export. I would guess those were mostly for military use for officers of the army.  This information is from Schneiders book "Cadillacs of the forties"

If I can assist in any way please let me know.  Have a Sake for me while you are in Japan as I will probably never go there.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

James Gray

My brain must have paused Gary. I should have just asked you. If anyone would have the information first hand, that would be you. Couldn't sleep anymore. It's almost 5 AM here. Thank you buddy.

As for Japan, we are simply demonstrating a helicopter similar to the Blackhawk UH60 to purchasing agents. Mostly coastal and evac purposes. Just putting it through some aggressive patterns so they can be thrilled and maybe enhance the intent of selling them. Sure is a heck of a lot of fun for me. And I get paid handsomely.
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494
1942 Cadillac Series 6269

joeceretti