News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1973 Series 75 EGR valve

Started by Lars Kneller 8246, June 14, 2014, 08:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Kneller 8246

I had to replace my EGR recently. The only one available these days is a generic one made to replace several part numbers. It came with multiple washers with different size holes in them to place on the bottom prior to putting it on the engine. My part number wasn't listed on the sheet that tells which washer to use, so I assumed I didn't need one of those washers. The old one I removed didn't have a washer in its hole either. Does anyone have any experience with this year's EGR valve?  The car seems to be running fine. Thanks.

TJ Hopland

Maybe yours was not an original?   Anyone have a parts book and can confirm what the part number should have been?   Maybe that one is on the list?

I have used a couple of those replacement valves but its been a while and they were always on the list.    The washer sets the orifice or 'jet' size.  The originals the orifice size was just part of the overall design of the assembly.   I would guess it was the aftermarket that decided it would be easier just to make the same valve with changeable washers to cover multiple models.

Was no washer listed for some models?   If so maybe its a valid combo.   If there was none listed that did not use a washer I would wonder if you are flowing too much.   If it appears to be running good you should be alright.  Too much EGR usually ends up causing fairly obvious drivability issues.   Not enough or no EGR tends to cause the engine to run lean which is usually not as obvious.   You end up running higher temps and detonating which is really hard on pistons and rings and such so if you are going to be not correct too much EGR flow is the safer way to go.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

If your Caddy is running fine, then you may be just fine.  I replaced an EGR valve on a 1975 Caddy and from the directions I could figure out which orifice washer to use, but not using one was also a valid possibility too.  The car certainly ran terrible with the old valve, and when replaced it was great.  If you got the same result you should be good. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Lars Kneller 8246

I did look up my part number and it wasn't listed on the paper that came with the valve.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Lars,
Are you going after part number "authenticity", or just trying to make sure your EGR is correct?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Lars Kneller 8246

Greg, I just want it correct. I don't think an authentic one is available anymore.

Lars

Scot Minesinger

The only reason I would replace the EGR is if my car was running poorly, i.e. rouge idle loss of power at load.  If the car ran well would not be thinking anything is wrong.  Since the car runs well now, it should be good.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Lars,
I think someone mentioned the fact that the old egr might not have been the original. I would cross reference Rock Auto's part numbers for conformity, I believe all 73 egrs are physically the same and will function correctly.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

mgbeda

I replaced the EGR on my '76 SDV, and the instructions for my original part number (the instructions that came with the new valve, that is) specified no washer for mine.

Can't comment yet on how it runs because I haven't got the rest of the vital parts installed yet.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)