News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 365 Timing Cover Seal

Started by junkyard junky, June 15, 2014, 05:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyard junky

Bought a complete gasket kit once I tore my 365 down. A modern metal seal came with but but it looks like the timing cover only takes a felt replacement. Am I issing something or do I need a later model timing cover? Hoping to have the engine back in a couple of weeks.

Ken Perry

Sounds to me like they forgot the seal in your set. The felt I believe goes behind the seal. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Jay Friedman

On my '49, which has a similar motor, there is only a felt seal for the vibration damper opening in the timing case cover.  Just inside the timing case cover, the front end of the crankshaft has a thread machined into it which, when the engine is running, turns toward the interior of the motor.  (I hope I explained this clearly.)  As such any oil which gets to the inside of the timing case cover is pushed back to the motor's interior.  Your '56 motor is probably the same.  I believe such gizmos are called "slingers". 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

junkyard junky

J. Gomez

The early engine up to 103792 has the felt type gasket, the later engines from 103793 and 1957-1958 have the metal case seal.

You can find these changes under the MPL group 8.0500.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

junkyard junky

Thanks. Guess I'll look for a later timing cover.