News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

front end alignment on a 1941 Cadillac

Started by 41coupe, June 16, 2014, 06:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41coupe

I have ordered radials for my 41', and after they are installed, it will need an alignment. My question is can any competent facility with modern alignment equipment, do an alignment of a 41' Caddy?  I read threads on the forum from owners who installed radials on their cars, and they indicated that an alignment was in order, but nothing was recommended as a source for an alignment.   Thanks   Phil

Dave Shepherd

The issue here is trying to get some positive caster in the alignment, we do these in my shop and some cars are almost impossible to get this done as that range of adjustment was never built into the suspension. Assuming all is tight in the steering and suspension, oe camber and toe settings are ok maybe a little less toe, but not critical. Some modern equipment will not work on our older cars as the laser heads fit too far inboard.  Check with your local shops.  Magnetic heads and turn plates  with a toe gage can be also used to do this.

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

I should think so. Dave Shepard's reply seems very helpful in more specifics of execution than mine which is more general in approach to finding a shop for this or extended into other general work.

Were it me, and I've had great luck doing this, is look for that local independent general auto service shop that seems to always be busy with a variety of cars including older ones. Not a tire specialty shop whether they come running or not...Then (bring your car too) go there and ask them, doing so along the lines of knowing that they -can- do alignments of course but on a car like this do they -want- to. And factor in Dave's (or others as they are posted) replies for specifics as appropriate. Especially given that they won't be in the position of sourcing parts they likely will be happy to have the business given the lack of complication of our cars (I have a 41 6267D convertible coupe) and also that the cars are a bit of an eye candy style draw to their business as they just sit in the lot or garage. In my case the mechanic that takes the work for my car built a 40's Ford with his dad and so he likes the work, and I've cultivated this relationship by supporting their business model by providing the parts as neither they nor their daily jobber want to be on the phone sourcing a pitman arm for a 41 Cadillac.

I've access to a very highly skilled restoration shop's services but this sort of work and shop seems a better fit. I'm much more interested in quality and value of work than cost - taking nothing away from that the general shop's rate is 1/3 as much and for this sort of thing it makes sense to me.

Having written that I have a friend that has a much more elaborate car (Packard 12 convertible Victoria Dietrich) that the same folks simply didn't want the liability for having in their shop so it's not a given. Of course his car is worth over twice mine too and a senior Packard is probably different animal in complexity than ours. And they don't work on air cooled Volkswagens period (and simpler than that it doesn't get) so the point is they well may have some house rules that you need to fit in with.

Good luck, your car sure is a pretty one.
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Steve Passmore

I don.t seem to have ever had any trouble getting the front aligned on my cars. My local tyre shop always does to factory settings.             I fitted radials to my 41 convertible years ago and had the setting as per factory and it steered perfect and never wore the tyres out.   I'll be taking my 41 coupe for the same treatment Phil.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

41coupe

Thanks for the info. I will try to source out a local facility. In the past I have had some luck with " Harold's Frame Shop ". ( Detroit Metro area) They specialize in frame related repairs. They will be my first stop.   Phil   

Jay Friedman

For wheel alignment I take my '49 with bias ply tires to a local tire shop whose owner likes working on old cars.  His machine works fine with my  car, though I don't know what type of machine it is.  (It's not like the old Bear wheel alignment machines; the readings come up on a screen.)  I did have to show him how to adjust the caster and camber on a '49 by turning the eccentric pin with an Allen wrench but other than that the place had no problem. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."