News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Temporary Temp Gauge conversion

Started by Jeff Wilk, June 16, 2014, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

The temp gauge on my dash of our 59 is acting up still. We are driving to the Grand National and want a working and reliable temp gauge. Anybody changed out to an aftermarket gauge?  Who sells?  Whats the process?  Any advice?

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Jay Friedman

On my '49 I sometimes temporarily install an after market mechanical temp gauge I bought at an auto parts store.  I usually do this when I've been having cooling problems and want to get an accurate water temp reading not influenced by the car's electrical system.  To do so I remove the electrical sending unit from the rear of the right cylinder head, install the mechanical gauge's sending unit in the same hole and run the capillary tube through the hole in the dash for the car's right ventilating tube.  Sometimes I'll clamp the gauge itself to the steering column or just leave it on the front seat.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bcroe

Quote from: Jay Friedman on June 16, 2014, 10:57:23 PM
On my '49 I sometimes temporarily install an after market mechanical temp gauge I bought at an auto parts store.  I usually do this when I've been having cooling problems and want to get an accurate water temp reading not influenced by the car's electrical system.  To do so I remove the electrical sending unit from the rear of the right cylinder head, install the mechanical gauge's sending unit in the same hole and run the capillary tube through the hole in the dash for the car's right ventilating tube.

Some of those capillary tube gauges are much smaller than standard, with a wrap around
scale.  No wiring needed, if you don't need a night illumination.  Bruce Roe

curly

Jeff, I did something similar, but with oil psi instead.  I added an aftermarket 2 inch gauge from Auto Zone to the drivers side ashtray.  I mounted the gauge in a piece of hardboard just large enough to fit into the ashtray (tray removed) and ran the wires out to the sender.  I can close the ashtray to hide the gauge when I need to. No pics, but will add some if you want.
Personally, I'd stay away from the mechanical water gauge and go with electric.

T Lewis

Scot Minesinger

I have added a set of removable gauges.  These gauges are attached with one bolt and a plug in connector.  Drive everywhere you want with good info, pull into the show and remove the gauges in five minutes.  After judging, reinstall them and drive away. 

I will be driving my 1970 Cadillac from VA to GN this summer and if you want look me up and check it out.  This would work for just about any car with a 12V electrical system.  The matter of including on dash so it is not in the way, gauges are readable while driving, and does not look bad is the art/skill of it.  The pictures show it easily clears the knee and you can comfortably read them while driving.  I have a tach in the glove box.  This makes servicing a breeze such as setting timing.  Plus now I know when my alternator/voltage regulator may be an issue with the voltmeter.

I have three 1970 Cadillacs and the gauge set can go in all three.  These are all electric gauges (except vacuum gauge), so no capillary tubes, coolant, or oil lines into the dash.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Wilk

Thanks for all the replies!!  When using an electric gauge does the actual electrical sender currently in the block need to change and come with the gauge being purchased aftermarket?
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

curly

Unless there is another place to install the sender, then yes, you will have to switch sending units.  I don't think our 390 engine has any place in the head that you can use so you have to use the manifold fitting.

T Lewis

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dave Burke

Hi Jeff,

I ordered some radio noise capacitors from this outfit and if it is the gauge, I don't know if these guys have it, but they also have correct sending units and I am going to get one for my '57 because I drive it a lot and I want to make sure that the power plant isn't going to melt in this Alabama heat!  Check them out:
http://www.lectriclimited.com/shopping_cart/ff_catalog.asp?id=220648377

They had the parts to me in short order.

HTH,

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak