News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can I remove exhaust manifold with engine in car (1962 390)

Started by 62 driver, June 17, 2014, 05:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 driver

I need to remove the left exhaust manifold on my 1962 Cadillac 390.  Can I remove it with the engine in place? If not why? Tips or ideas? I have to replace the left aft freeze plug and want to get a good shot on installing the freeze plug.

Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Scot Minesinger

Never heard of a Cadillac where you could not remove the exhaust manifold with engine in place.  The risk you may suffer is that one of the bolts that anchor exhaust manifold to head may break.  Penetrating oil and shock like hammer blows at end of wrench tend to loosen the bolts better than constant torque.  If there is any possible way you can replace the freeze plug without removing the exhaust manifold, that would be the way to go.  If the exhaust manifold has never been removed before since it was installed at factory it is going to be quite difficult.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan LeBlanc

I've done 3 61/2 390 engines so far.  I've always had great success with an electric impact wrench getting the manifold bolts out.  Of course the engine was on a stand at the time.  Not one bolt has broken on me. . .YET! 

I have taken the passenger side off before with the engine in the car to swap it out.  That one is a bit tighter than the drivers side, so the drivers side should be doable.  Try getting an impact driver to help you get those bolts started as there will be no room for an impact gun in there.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

62 driver

Thanks Dan!  I am counting on the fact that the manifold had been removed before. I could see blue sealant under it when I got the car.  I was able to loosen 4 bolts and next week will try the 2 centers. Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Julien Abrahams

Yes you can, but if the bolts break, you need to remove it anyway to drill them out :). I've done it on my 429, and if I would do it again, I would at least take the heads off (with the manifolds still attached). If a bolt breaks, than it is much easier to drill it out. Also, its a nice opportunity to have a look at your cylinder walls and to lap your valves . It will cost you time and a top gasket set (inc. new head gaskets, water, etc etc).
In my case, I started off with the engine all together in the car, 2 bolts snapped off, and I ended up having tot take the heads off to drill them out and put helicoils in.
Good luck.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dave Burke

I took the heads off with the exhaust manifolds attached on my 365 (not much different from the 390).  I would echo what everyone else said, except that I had little difficulty getting the bolts off using a long breaker bar.  Disassembly is easier with the head and manifold both out of the car - but I put them back on with the heads on the block.  I just did a full top-end on my '57 Sedan DeVille and, well, just have fun with it and don't forget to cuss every now and then!

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

Matt Innocenzi

Dave,

Nothing is impossible, but it is a miserable job.  In my case, I put in all new Grade 8 bolts, and the forward most one was about 1/8" too long, so it was bottoming out on the upper A arm.  I had to get a grinder in there and grind off the head when it was loose to be able to slide it all the way out.  That was not fun.

After all that, I was able to move the manifold forward, but not enough without it hitting the radiator.  I could not move it up because it was hitting the power steering gear box.  I could not move it down because of the cross member.  So, if you must take the whole manifold out, you will need to remove the radiator and/or the steering gear box.  If someone was able to get theirs out any easier, hats off!

So, before you pop the champagne after getting the bolts loosened, that is only half the battle!

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood