News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Installing a headliner, DIY or no?

Started by Cooke, June 18, 2014, 03:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I have a new headliner for my 68 Eldorado and the upholstery shop I use can't do it for 2 months and I really want it done before Lake George. Has anyone installed one and how difficult is it?

The original one is in place but mice have done a good job eating holes in it.
Thanks for any advice.

timer2

I've done two in the last three years- one on my '54 series 62 coup and the other a month ago on my '51 Hudson Hollywood- both were napped cotton and neither was that difficult. Yours being newer might be a different story but the guy in my area who does this charges $100 a bow. there were 6 in the Caddy and seven in the Hudson. I've been told the easier ones to do are the ones without the bows. I had no experience with headliners before and they both turned out beautiful. There are little tricks you can learn on the net that make it much easier so if you try it, learn all you can before you start. Terry

The Tassie Devil(le)

My philosophy is that if someone can do it, there is no reason that I can't learn how to do it myself, with reading, practice and assistance.   Don't forget that people have to learn how to do things in the first place.   Some things take longer, that is why there are Apprentices.

But, as for practice, is there a wrecking yard near you that you know the owner?   If so, have a chat with him and see if you can practice removing and reinstalling the headliners in cars that are about to go to the crusher.   You would be surprised what you can learn on something that making a mistake on won't hurt anything.

A helping hand can be from anyone from a child to a beloved.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Series75

The only real difference in outcome is whether the bow /sew lines are straight or not.  The difficulty is installing so they are laser straight lines.  You would think this is pretty easy to accomplish, right?  Like balancing a slate pool table.  Think again & pay the professional.    Tom CLC #6866

Smedly

I personally have never done one, But at one time I had never driven a car. I agree with the for mentioned philosophy, If someone else can do it Why cant I. Try it your self and spend the $ on other parts.
Just my opinion.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Roadmaster75

With all the hints & assists you can find on the internet, I'd do it myself.

I've done a couple of 60's full size GM cars with vinyl headliners and they came out
fine.  Not rocket science.  Get it in before the show….if you have a nagging
bulge or wrinkle, you can always have the pro tweak it for you later.

harvey b

I have done a couple of them myself,not Rocket Science,anyone with a bit of mechanical ability should be able to do one.it can be a little hard to get the wrinkles out,but not impossible.You can look on youtube,there has to be some videos on there about this.Big thing is to take your time and have some help to get it started,the rods can be tricky to get started,Do you know anyone who does it for a living,maybe they would help you,or maybe "moonlight" at night to do it for you? Harvey
Harvey Bowness

craig-o

I did the headliner in my '55 and it came out perfectly.  I had a pre-sewn one delivered from SMS in Oregon, but I had the same misgivings as you - I'd never done one before, and knew that if it wasn't done right, the wrinkles would remind me of that every time I got in the car.

I found a great reference for a headliner install on a '56 Chevy.  This was a very thorough video, showing every step, from start to finish.  It gave me the confidence to try it myself.  Invest about 15 minutes to watch the video, and decide for yourself if you're ready to take this on.  http://ciadellainteriors.blogspot.com/2011/10/ciadella-headliner.html

Good luck.
Craig Rodenberger
San Jose, CA
1955 Coupé deVille
1955 Jaguar XK140 OTS

Caddy Wizard

I love working on my old cars.  And I am blessed with a very wide-ranging skill set (electrical, nearly all mechanical, engines, body alignment, body work, paint work, etc.).  But there are two things on a car I am not great at:  automatic transmissions and upholstery work.  It looks simple, but it takes some skill and patience to get the proper cosmetic appearance.  I could probably do even that, but I don't find it as fun as other things on a car.  So for me, I'd rather pay a pro to do the upholstery work and let me do everything else.

Here are a couple of pictures of the interior in my first 49 fastback coupe.  What a great car that was...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)