News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

help id a sheller banjo wheel

Started by bigdee47, June 22, 2014, 06:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdee47

???  I've been trying for about one year to identify the vehicle or boat for which my Sheller #2 banjo wheel was made. I have several leads, but nothing definitive. One suspicion is that it belongs on a late 30's Cadillac or LaSalle. One defining characteristic is that the shaft is 5/8" and has 40 splines--not the 36 splines that the Packards of that era had. The other is the small raised speed marks or arrows moulded into the plastic at the unions of the banjo spokes (5X3) and the rim. There are also smaller ribs on the rim, three each at the three midpoints between the spoke unions. The horn button opening is 3.5 inches.

I am 99% certain that it is NOT from a Ford, although Sheller did make banjo wheels for Ford. Recent speculation: Chris Craft, Hudson, Studebaker, Cadillac.

Anyone recognize this? Thanks for any leads or information. David

bigdee47

Seventy-seven views, no replies. You know what I'd like? I'd like someone who's been around Cadillacs a long time, and is familiar with the 30's era cars, just to tell me they've never seen one of these on a Cadillac. Or even better, tell me the spline count on the steering shaft of those era Cadillacs is NOT 40.

Please?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I'm just frustrated. I've been chasing this for 2 years, now. It had to go on SOMETHING !

Thanks, David

tozerco

OK, I'll jump in. Not off a '36 or '37 Cadillac. Just for you I'll count the splines on the spare I have at home when I get back there.
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

gary griffin

Not a 1940 LaSalle either, because yours makes 3 equal sections while the LaSalle makes one half section and two quarter sections of the bottom half. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

bigdee47

Quote from: tozerco on July 03, 2014, 02:35:07 AM
OK, I'll jump in. Not off a '36 or '37 Cadillac. Just for you I'll count the splines on the spare I have at home when I get back there.

Thanks, John. Much appreciated.

bigdee47

Quote from: gary griffin on July 03, 2014, 11:36:29 AM
Not a 1940 LaSalle either, because yours makes 3 equal sections while the LaSalle makes one half section and two quarter sections of the bottom half.

Thanks, Gary. That helps.

David

Steve Passmore

OK my turn.     The wheel would have to be before the cars went to column change as the casting on the back changed dramatically for the thicker column. so that would rule out most cars after 37.
I have just counted the splines on my spare wheel which I have used during restorations which fits every Cadillac and Buick I have owned in 35 years and it has 36 splines. Thats GM out of the question from 36 through 47 and I haven't seen a flex wheel on earlier Cadillacs.
Its defiantly not Hudson, they had their own Art Deco wheels.
The small ribs extending out to the rim is something I've not seen on a car before.

My bet is with a boat.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

I second the boat. Maybe it was from a Chris Craft barrel back about 1939-41. Please take a look at picture below.  Bill

bigdee47

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on July 04, 2014, 10:49:58 AM
I second the boat. Maybe it was from a Chris Craft barrel back about 1939-41. Please take a look at picture below.  Bill

To Passmore & Ingler: thank you, thank you, a million times over! The negative confirmations and the picture of the CC gave me more info than I've had in months.

I hope I can return the favor some day!

David LeCount

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi David: Glad I could provide some possible info on your wheel. Now if you enlarge both your wheel picture and the one I posted you will see that the spokes of your wheel are each made up of 5 wires where the picture I posted, the spokes are 4 wires. Not to say your wheel is not from a boat which I believe that it is a boat wheel, but over the years Chris Craft, Century, Hacker and Garwood made wood boats using steering wheels similar to your wheel so unless you find a boat missing it`s steering wheel, you may never get that complete answer to your question.      Bill

bigdee47

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on July 05, 2014, 11:17:15 AM
Hi David: Glad I could provide some possible info on your wheel. Now if you enlarge both your wheel picture and the one I posted you will see that the spokes of your wheel are each made up of 5 wires where the picture I posted, the spokes are 4 wires. Not to say your wheel is not from a boat which I believe that it is a boat wheel, but over the years Chris Craft, Century, Hacker and Garwood made wood boats using steering wheels similar to your wheel so unless you find a boat missing it`s steering wheel, you may never get that complete answer to your question.      Bill
I got a partial answer from an online "expert" boat mechanic today: In 30 years of working on boats and planes, including Chris Craft, he has never seen a wheel that did not have a keyway. He referred me to the Antique Boat Museum, which has a research help desk and apparently a huge library. But they warn viewers that it may take several weeks to get an answer. We'll see.
And I'm still waiting to hear from the Studebaker modeler, who seemed interested.
Thanks again for your interest. I'll get back to you when and if.
In the meantime, I have a beautiful antique steering wheel which apparently fits no car and no plane or boat. Maybe it came from a bank vault door in Chicago?
Later, guys.

David

ps Here's another thought: the 16-yr-old machinist's apprentice who cut the splines on this wheel at the Sheller plant used a 40-count broach instead of a 36. Therefore, the wheel was never mounted on anything, explaining the amazing condition of the plastic and the splines after nearly 80 years. Now, like an imperfect postage stamp, this wheel is worth several hundred thousand dollars. How does that sound?