News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Seville project

Started by mechanic80, June 23, 2014, 06:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanic80

I've spent the last few weekends dismantling the Seville for a good paint job.  I've always found a naked car presents a nice "canvas" for paint.  I'm sticking with the dark blue for the upper part but I'm going to do a light blue on the sides mimicking the original Cadillac two tone of that era.  Since it will never be a 100 point show car, I decided on a short. padded landau top mainly because the rear window trim panel for the non vinyl top option is not to be found.  I saw one once, cost a fortune!   Anyway, busting knuckles aside, The only trim I cannot remove is the sail panel crest emblems.  I can feel the speed nuts but there's no way a wrench can reach or even turn that 60 degrees to move.  Any suggestions? I guess I could try to find a 12 point 5/16" wrench.  That'll take FOREVER with no guarantee.  Help?!
mechanic80

Driver8

Quote from: mechanic80 on June 23, 2014, 06:59:47 PM
I've spent the last few weekends dismantling the Seville for a good paint job.  I've always found a naked car presents a nice "canvas" for paint.  I'm sticking with the dark blue for the upper part but I'm going to do a light blue on the sides mimicking the original Cadillac two tone of that era.  Since it will never be a 100 point show car, I decided on a short. padded landau top mainly because the rear window trim panel for the non vinyl top option is not to be found.  I saw one once, cost a fortune!   Anyway, busting knuckles aside, The only trim I cannot remove is the sail panel crest emblems.  I can feel the speed nuts but there's no way a wrench can reach or even turn that 60 degrees to move.  Any suggestions? I guess I could try to find a 12 point 5/16" wrench.  That'll take FOREVER with no guarantee.  Help?!

Hello,

Nice project you have going, can't wait to see pics.

Anyhow, yes I can help with the sail panel emblems. Your Seville has the emblems because no opera lamps ordered. My car has the opera lamps, so... no wreath/crest. That design dept. decision always bugged me, so I wanted to add the emblems along with my opera lamps. Once I got inside, I discovered what you did, the cut outs on the inner metal did not allow for easy access with wrenches or nut drivers. You can't see the work underneath in the pics below, but all I did was pull back that heavy sound insulation, push the wiring aside (after disconnecting/removing the inside reading lamp trim panels) and I cut across with tin snips to make a flap that I could pull open like a book. I then did my work and neatly folded it back, wrapped HD Gorilla tape around the cut line and velcro'd the insulation sheet back in place. problem solved, hope this helps :) 

Good luck on the project, hope all turns out well.   PM me if anything else.

Mark~
Mark Allen  CLC # 28250
'79 Cadillac Seville  http://bit.ly/1VEbnNo
'15 Chrysler 300S AWD   https://ibb.co/2Z21vng
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited   http://bit.ly/1VE758Q

Driver8

Quote from: mechanic80 on June 23, 2014, 06:59:47 PM
...I decided on a short. padded landau top mainly because the rear window trim panel for the non vinyl top option is not to be found.

RE: vinyl top: Are you cutting the top off in the position they did on the Gucci? I think it def works on the Seville. I think you could even do a Lincoln style from back window up to the B pillar with strip across the roof like the Town Cars and Versailles had available.

Here's a pic of the Gucci Landau & Lincoln top (fake convertible shown but same idea with vinyl). I think you should stick with correct Tuxedo Grain, the Elk grain looks strange on a Gen1 Seville  IMHO.

Mark

Mark Allen  CLC # 28250
'79 Cadillac Seville  http://bit.ly/1VEbnNo
'15 Chrysler 300S AWD   https://ibb.co/2Z21vng
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited   http://bit.ly/1VE758Q

mechanic80

I'm thinking about somewhere between the two vinyl tops shown.  At least to the vent window chrome pillar and  possibly 5 to 6" further.  Regardless, it will be unique!  If I can figure how to download and post pics, I surely will.   I ordered a ratcheting box end wrench for the emblem removal.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to remove the back seat to try the surgery approach.  Thanks.
mechanic80

66 Eldo

Just throwing a "curve ball" but did Sevilles come two-tone in '76? Not sure what your goals are for your car, re: orginality. 

I can't remember ever seeing a 76 Seville that was originally two-tone. 78 and 79 for sure with the Elegantes and I assume on lesser trim levels two-tone could be ordered in 78 and 79.

jagbuxx #12944

When I worked in a Cadillac store here in SoCal in 1976-our paint shop kept busy doing tu tone on Sevilles plus adding those rolls grilles. Black/silver was pretty popular. Definitely was in keeping with the times
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

mechanic80

I don't know why I keep referring to my Seville as a '76 when it is actually a '77.   The goal is what I remember about the late 70's caddys.  Authenticity totally unimportant.  End result is paramount!
mechanic80

mechanic80

Well. I had to cut an access panel to remove the speed nuts.  I'll be using barrel nuts in the reinstall.  Will need to replace a couple of the rear window reveal trim "arrows."   I hope I can find them.
mechanic80

TJ Hopland

76-77 is not that big of an error,  if you had an 80 or a 90 that would be a much bigger issue. 

Whats a speed nut vs a barrel nut?   I assume the speed nut are those ones that look like a nut with a flange but are stamped out of a fairly thin piece of sheet metal and have basically one complete thread?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mechanic80

Speed nut is a stamped nut attaching from the inside.  Barrel nut isn't a nut really but an insert installed from the outside.  When the trim piece stud is inserted, it flares out behind the sheet metal preventing movement, but can be pried off from the outside.
mechanic80

bcroe

Quote from: TJ Hopland
76-77 is not that big of an error,  if you had an 80 or a 90 that would be a much bigger issue. 

They did make changes.  Bigger wheel pattern in 77, also got the lighter weight revised
Olds 350.  Same EFI.  Bruce Roe

Gene Beaird

Lighter, really?  How much?  I always see the Olds as a stout, but heavy-for-it's-size engine.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

mechanic80

Boy! Getting the rear surround panel from the back window was a chore.  There's actually a  small 1/8" gap where the roof welds to the quarter panel and that surround is delicate, but its done.  The only piece I didn't remove completely is the rt outside rear view mirror.  Just one retaining nut is keeping it in place and can be easily removed for sand and paint.
mechanic80