News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help Identifying A 1990 Cadillac

Started by 2danreed, June 25, 2014, 10:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2danreed

A friend of mine just bought a low mileage (47,000), original 1990 Cadillac he says is called a "Statesman". He thinks it has an unusual vinyl top - it extends down around the windows - I attached a photo of the car.  The original window sticker was found under the seat and this was a $31,000 car new. Is this an unusual model??  $31,000 sounds like a lot in 1990 dollars.

Dan Reed
Dan Reed

936CD69

It's a basic 90 Sedan deVille with a dealer installed aftermarket top. Cadillac used a similar top on the 87-88 Sixty Special, but not on the 89-93 deVille. $31k sounds about right, my 93 stickered for $35, 500.

HTH

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

76eldo

Hard to tell on my phone but if the lower body trim is stainless, that's unusual too. I had a 1990 Sedan DeVille and the lower body was grey plastic.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Yes, the lower panels have aftermarket stick-on chrome appliques which coincides with the aftermarket vinyl roof.

These aftermarket add on enhancements were most commonly done at the dealership which helped enhance profit margins: Dealer cost of aftermarket top was typically less than half that of genuine factory issue and about 20% the quality & durability. For that reason, the factory frowned upon the practice but there was little it could do.

It should also be noted that genuine factory vinyl roof on 1989 - 1993 Sedan deVille (standard on Fleetwood/ '93 Sixty Special) featured electroluminescent Cadillac crest at base of sail panel which illuminated with park lamps/headlamps.

Aftermarket roofs usually have just normal chrome crest that does not illuminate and some even have no crest at all.     
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

As others have stated, this "Statesman" package was aftermarket.  Where was it sold new?  Back then, "Cadillac Tri-Statesmen" was a dealer marketing association group in NY, NJ, CT.   Sometimes dealer groups create special edition models/packages for member dealers to sell.

$31K is a pretty normal sticker price for a 1990 Sedan DeVille.  Cadillacs, and cars in general, were more expensive in the 1990s.  The base price of a 1990 Cadillac Seville STS was about $37K which is the equivalent of $67K in current dollars.