News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac RWD speedometer cable - no cruise

Started by Scot Minesinger, June 25, 2014, 06:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Working on a 1968 Cadillac DeVille and the former owner paid for others to work on his Cadillac and we are paying the price for that.  We do have the 1968 Cadillac shop manual and have researched without much success, hence this post.

The speedometer cable always was questionable, in that it bounced around a lot when we first came to drive it, and after a year it kind of smoothed out, but was not quite right.  Then it stopped working after replacing power steering hose.  I'm sire it was bumped while I was replacing the original hose.  Anyway the cable is not attached to the dash at all.  I doubt it broke.  Suspect it was disconnected before and never properly re-attached.

Anyway my questions:

1.  To replace speedometer cable access to back of speedometer is from top of dash removal or do we work from the bottom?
2.  Seems there should be some sort of secure fastener to attach speedo cable to back of dash like a spring clip or something - shop manual (shows wave washer?) is not too clear, anyone with some experience here?

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dave Shepherd

I believe is a spring/wave clip to secure to the head should be able to see from the bottom once you remove the lower panels.

cadillactim

Scot

It is a wave washer type spring that holds the cable to the speedo head. It is a royal pain to reattach it since there is no room to put your hand with the a/c duct in the way along with the metal braces. 

Sometimes the wave washer will fall off when the cable is removed, and perhaps the washer is not on the cable housing now.

If the washer is gone I have re-engineered the anchoring by drilling and tapping a hole in the housing, then use a screw to hold the housing to the head. Since the attachment point is tapered, drilling a small bevel where the screw will touch the head will keep it from sliding off.

Tim
Tim Groves

Scot Minesinger

Tim,

Planning to replace the cable anyway.  Will it be equipped with the wave washer do you think (buying from USA Parts)?  Do I remove top dash pad or go in from the bottom?  Since you are familiar and if you can sell me a re-built or new one that would be preferred.  My e-mail is rscotm@cox.net, please send me the details.

Thanks,

Scot

35-709

Seems to me I remember it was easier going in through the top on my '73.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Julien Abrahams

With regard to access: I believe that it is easiest to remove the top dashpad. Although it is still a bit of a hastle (the windshield is kind of in the way ;) , it is doable. I've done the same thing on my '67, and I believe that the instrument panel of the '67 and '68 are pretty much the same.
Good luck.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Scot Minesinger

Thanks, this has helped guide the plan of attack.  Any more advise will be appreciated.  I have replaced the clock and cruise switch on dash in a 67 Cadillac, so have some idea of what is involved.