News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 turn signal spears re chromed! Is this right or wrong?

Started by 62 driver, June 27, 2014, 02:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 driver

I had both of my turn signal light spears re chromed. I don't know if they turned out right. It is the part in the indent that has lumps if you would.  They are not pot marks but should they be smooth and shiny in the indent?  Both the re chrome has lumps and the spare that I have has the same lumps in the valley. What does your valleys look like?  Wanting to see if I should have them redone? 
Thanks Dave

Used one.

Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Julien Abrahams

I am no expert, but to me it looks like the spears have really just been dipped in a chrome bath. I've heard from others that if you want to do it right, first it has to go into a batch that cleans all the old chrome off. Then the metal has to be cleaned, possible rust removed and possible holes fixed (welded).Then it has to be sanded to get a smooth finish. Then final step is to apply the chrome in a bath. But again, I'm no expert.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

quadfins

Those particular crown moldings, like most of the trim, should simply be polished stainless steel.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Dan LeBlanc

I'm not sure about other models, but on the Fleetwood Series 60, that recessed area is supposed to be painted body colour.

You can see the molding in question in the bottom right hand corner of this photo.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

C.R. Patton II

Hello David

I appreciate your inquiry.  I suggest you acquire a CLC Authenticity Manual for your vehicle.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

62 driver

Thanks to All!  Back it goes. The chrome shop has always did nice work for me. They must have though it was covered with the lens.  Dave 
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

66 Eldo

Aren't those pieces pot metal hence the typical pitting? A good chrome shop will explain the problems with repairing and replating pot metal.

Your pieces don't look too pitted and an experienced plater can prep them properly to make them look new.