News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel filter or fool filter? '57 365 ci.

Started by Dave Burke, June 29, 2014, 10:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Burke

Hiya Again, Y'all -

If it ain't one thing, it's another.  Here's the skinny: I live in Alabama.  Yes, I do have a banjo.  No, it is not on my knee.  Why would it be on my knee.  Has ANYONE ever seen anybody play a banjo on their knee?  I would think that Steve Martin would be able to carry it off, but I haven't even seen him try it...  Wait - what was I talking about?  Oh yeah - I am from Alabama and the funny thing about Alabama in the summer time is that it gets hot, as does any vehicle that has a cast-iron engine block.  This leads to that embarrassing phenomenon of fuel percolation and vapor lock.  Why embarrassing?  Because it happened at Lowe's as I was trying to head home and it stalled in the middle of the parking lot, inconveniencing a lot of other shoppers who were initially admiring the car and were later shooting me looks like, "Dude - get a new car."

I am aware of certain issues with the mechanical fuel pump routing and that the current glass filter from the auto parts place is forcing me to run a much longer fuel line between the pump and the carb than I would like (first rule of keeping fuel lines cool: keep them SHORT).  So I see that a repro fuel filter is available for my car.  But since my car arrived sans filter, where does the thing go?  I assume that it is between the carb and fuel pump but how?  There is scarcely any room there, especially under the air cleaner, which is another bother.  I have tried about 3 fuel line and filter configurations.  If any of Y'all have a photo, man that would be a tremendous help!

Thanks!

Dave Burke
CLC# 27968
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

Glen

First off vapor lock happens in the fuel pump not in the fuel lines, especially not on the output side of the pump. 

According to the master parts book the 57 non A/C cars used the AC type GF-48K and the air conditioned cars use the AC type GF-38K fuel filters. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger Zimmermann

Dave, I know first hand how this broblem is embarassing. When I'm driving more than 30 miles away from home, I'm taking a bottle of water. When the vapor lock problem is showing its ugly head, I'm pouring the cold water on the fuel pump. It works most of the time, but not always: I was recently in a jam traffic, on a climbing road. After 20 minutes of stop and go, with cooling temperature getting higher and higher, the engine from my '56 Biarritz died. Even with cold water and an electric fuel pump, I had to let cool that cast iron mass for one hour. After that, the car drove again as usual (I was towed in between).
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

gary griffin

An electric pump installed at the gas tank usually take care of vapor lock also. Put it on manual and turn it on when the problem occurs. Raising fuel line pressure also raises boiling/evaporation point. Make sure the pump does not put out more pressure than your car is designed for though.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Dave Burke

Hi Y'all,

First, thanks for your replies.  This is a problem that I want to lick.  I helped cause the problem by using mid-grade gas.  I should have known better: my car runs fine on regular unleaded, and I was performing an experiment to see if I could smooth out some rumbles in the engine.  Those rumbles ended up being timing-related.  But what I am really talking about is fuel percolation and I was watching it bubble in the fuel filter.  Once I got fuel flowing, the problem was solved.  But I was hoping to keep the fuel as cool as possible until it got into the float bowl and have sleeved the fuel lines with store-bought fiberglass and foil sleeving to cut down on the radiated heat.  The situation appears to be that on a hot day, if I run an errand that allows the car to sit for 20-30 minutes, then I need to pop the hood and find something to do for the next 30 minutes to allow the excess heat to escape. 

Now I don't remember seeing it (and I am sure that I would have remembered it or followed it to the letter) but where is the stock fuel filter location?  Does it mount directly to the pump or the carb?  In between? 

Jon, I'll try the MMO - Lord knows I use it everywhere else!  And Gary - I'll look into the fuel pump in the tank - I want to drop it before too long to replace the strainer sock so I guess that as long as it is on the ground...
1957 Sedan Deville

Jon S

Dave -

The fuel filter (glass bowl) mounts directly to the fuel pump with a screw in fitting.  There is a good thread on the Forum discussing why the filter mounted upside down on the 1957's and right side up on the 1958's.  Cadillac used a series of brass threaded fittings to mount the filter to the fuel pump and a steel line then to the carburetor.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

David Greenburg

Be very careful with that in-line glass tube filter. They can and will come apart, and you have an electric pump, as I did on my '59 a few years ago, you can be in for an exciting car-BQ.  Ask me how I know this.  On the other hand, don't; it brings back some flaming bad memories.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Dave Burke

Hi Jon,

I looked for the thread and didn't exactly find it.  Is there a link?  I used the search terms "fuel filter 1957."  Thanks,

Dave Burke

P.S. - David, I hope to avoid the barbecue!
1957 Sedan Deville