News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cool factory stencils for painting trunk emblems!

Started by Caddy Wizard, July 02, 2014, 05:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Not sure (yet) what year this stencil set fits, but I should figure it out soon.  A friend found this thing in antique shop (it looked a lot worse when he got it) and is interested in selling it to me.  I am going to try various years' trunk badges in it to see which year it is for.  It has separate stations for each of the colors in the Cadillac crest.  So the colors were put on one at a time and the part was moved from station to station.  Not sure that these were all mounted for one worker to use.  Could have been separated by a goodly physical space, so that one worker had one of these stencils and did the gold, another had another stencil and did the white lines and white dots, etc.  Anybody know how the "jewelry" vendor did this for Cadillac?

I think it is 54/55 stencil set...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting tooling! Unfortunately, I don't have the answers to your questions.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Caddy Wizard

It is not for a 54/54 trunk emblem after all.  I compared my 54 trunk emblem to the stencil set and discovered that the stencil set is for a flat trunk emblem that is about an inch smaller than the 54.  Still noodling on this...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Wizard

Maybe, Dan.  Can you provide dimensions so I can check?  Three measurements should do it: first, the horizontal distance between the angled points (tip to tip); second, the width of the lower body part; and third, the maximum vertical distance from the bottom of the pointy tip at the bottom to the top of the crown.

Art Gardner

Dan LeBlanc

I'm giving the 61 a bath tonight so I'll see what I can do.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

I lean toward the wheelcover medallions.  It's amazing it escaped the Clark plant in that condition, if it really is what we think.

I'd figure there would be some sort of casting number on it someplace...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jon S

GREAT FIND!  Very intricate tooling.  I was always curious how they painted the multiple colors and even more interested in how they made the reflective emblems for the hoods and trunks.  Thanks for sharing!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Caddy Wizard

Here is a close up of one of them...
Art Gardner