News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

SFE Vs AGC Fuses?

Started by Jeff Wilk, July 05, 2014, 02:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Whats the difference between these?  Auto stores have AGC.  Any issues?  25amp body feed us what i am replacing.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

curly

SFE are automotive fuses vs AGC are general purpose in design.

T Lewis

Classic

Copied from another forum on the web:

"SFE fuses are 'automotive', rated only to interrupt 32 volts. The length depends on their current rating, ranging from 5/8" for a SFE-4, to 1-7/16" for a SFE-30. AGC fuses are 'general purpose', they are always 1/4" by 1-1/4", available in 250V ratings to 10 amps, & 32V ratings to 30 amps. An AGC-20 is the same length, & pretty much interchanges with an SFE-20. Both types are "fast acting", but according to my Buss charts, the SFE is a little faster. An AGC-20 is rated to carry 27 amps for up to 60 minutes, while an SFE-20 will blow in under 2 minutes. However, the 60 minutes is given as a maximum, while the 2 minutes is apparently typical, so that may not be an accurate comparison.

SFE Glass fuses are designed to specifications set by the Society of Fuse Engineers. All are 1/4 inch in diameter, but vary in length according to the ampere rating to ensure accurate fuse replacement. Both AG and SFE fuses were designed into North American vehicles prior to 1981. Glass fuses are also used for auto accessory applications.

AGC = Automotive Glass Cartridge"

I never knew that, so I learned something too!

Gene Menne
CLC #474

TJ Hopland

Fuses actually can get very complicated.   AC vs DC can make a difference on how and when a fuse blows.  It has to do with arcing.   AC wont tend to arc as long as dc because of the nature of ac.   In AC when the polarity reverses there is a brief period there is no flow and that tends to extinguish an arc.   In DC that does not happen so the arc will continue to conduct power.   This may only be for nano or micro seconds so it really depends on what you are trying to protect and how well you are wanting to protect it.   A fuse designed for DC will be configured so that when it blows it will create a larger gap quicker than a AC fuse that may only open a small gap.   That's just one of the aspects that goes into the design of a fuse. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason