News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Trunk Jack base

Started by Robert Kimberlin, July 06, 2014, 09:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Kimberlin

I was recently reading over the Authenticity Manual for my 57 and I came across the section covering the trunk area and
placement of the trunk jack and base. The section states "The jack base is held by a bracket on the right trunk wall" . I have seen other 57 Cadillac's where this seems to be correct. However my car has it's base mounted on floor next to the jack and I see no evidence that it was changed. My trunk upholstery is all original and there are no holes where the base would have been mounted on the wall. Also if you look at the jack instructions photo the base appears to be on the floor. I know my car was an early production model. Is it possible Cadillac changed the mounting position of the base at some point ?

Walter Youshock

That is interesting and TOTALLY possible.  Early cars had some different things.  VERY early cars--the first couple hundred--had a stainless strip along the cowl vent that was eventually discontinued.  I've never seen one but the Serviceman mentions it.

Your trunk cardboards look original with no bracket holes.  Very early production cars are hard to come by.  I'd love to take a close look at this example someday.  What is the number of your car?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Robert Kimberlin

Hi Walter,
My vin number is 5762038299 and according to the build record she was built January 28 1957
and delivered to a Cadillac dealership in Binghamton New York. My Cadillac appears to have all its
original paint and Upholstery. It has a few rub through marks and scratches in the paint but for the
most part I think it still looks pretty good.

Grant Owen

Robert , my 57 Eldorado has the jack base mounted on the floor ,  I wouldn't go on what the Authenticity Manual says haven't seen one but from what I understand it has so many mistakes.

Jon S

I totally agree with Grant.  Based on your late January production date, your car is actually a mid-production car (September 1956 - August 1957).
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Walter Youshock

Agreed that the manual needs to be updated.  At the time, the cars that were available as examples seemed to fall into the "base on the side". 

If ANYONE has info they would like to contribute, then please do not hesitate...

Robert, I'm pretty sure I know your car.  If it is the one I think, it is an extremely low-mileage, original series 62 sedan with the green full-cloth interior.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Robert Kimberlin

Hello all,
I think this is a case where there may be more than one correct answer. I know from working in a factory that some things
get changed on short notice. Whether it be because of a design improvement or maybe a line worker was out sick and his
replacement decided it looked better mounted on the wall. ::)  When a new Authenticity Manual is written I believe it will
have to note these differences and in some areas we may have to consider that one definitive answer is not possible.

Walter,
My Cadillac spent most of its life in the Binghamton, Endicott New York area. My car has only 17,700 original miles and
it indeed has original green full-cloth interior. I have done a lot of research on the history of my car and I have found many
photos of my car taken at a all Cadillac's show in Binghamton NY. When the time comes to update the Authenticity Manual
I would be glad to help in any way I can. :)

Renato

I had 57 De Ville and I have 57 Fleetwood. Jack based on the floor both of.
R. Bognar

Walter Youshock

Bob,  I know that car very well.  The Mt. Laurel and white CDV in that lower photo is my car.  The Leghorn coupe belonged to a gentleman from my area.

And, yes, I would appreciate the help with the manual.  Examples such as yours are incredible time capsules.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Robert Kimberlin

Walter, You have a very beautiful car. That's one of my favorite photos because it's not every day you see three 1957s
parked side by side. :)

Walter Youshock

It was a great shot!  Especially the vintage colors.  Is the car still in the B'ton area?  I may be going up there tomorrow...  Need parts off a car at Gary's.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Robert Kimberlin

I purchased the car from a collector in Canton Ohio in 2011. I am currently living in Sandusky Ohio.

cwcinps

Hello,
I just checked mine (build in April 57) and it is clearly originally mounted on the floor as well. The truck is all original, so is 90% of her.   She was Miss January 2013 on the CLC Calendar.
Chris

1957 Coupe deVille
1976 Convertible Eldorado

Walter Youshock

My car was built May 21.  Would you send a photo?  Even the mounting bracket looks identical whether floor or side mounted...

Bob, your car changed hands a couple times.  That car came from the Binghamton area originally.  I could get you the contact info of the dealer who had it if you would like.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Robert Kimberlin

Walter, I spoke with the owner of a dealer in Binghamton that owned the car from 2000 until 2008 he was very helpful . I know the original owner lived in Endicott and worked for IBM. He passed away in 1959 and his wife kept the car in a small one car garage for many years. I believe there may have been a collector in the 1980s that had the car but I haven't been able to complete the owner history. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found a interesting newspaper photo of the original dealership Guy F Johnson. The dealership was renamed Dietzsch Pontiac Cadillac in the early 1960s and my car still has service decals in the door jamb from that era.

Walter Youshock

That's the story I recall.  I didn't think the dealer sold the car that long ago.  Times flies...  Once upon a time, you could ask for Title Searches on cars and get the entire owner history. 

I remember that dealership, too.  My aunt and uncle looked at a car there in the late '70's or early 80's.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham