News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

my '74 ELDO CONVT. HOT EXHAUST

Started by Viator Trudeau, July 08, 2014, 06:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

I need advice on my '74,  30 seconds after start up the exhaust is extremely hot, hotter than ant car I have owned.  The muffler is old, could it be blocked with old baffles missed placed with age.  Engine seems to have ample pep.....It does not need replacement due to rust thru.    Any comments.

V. Trudeau  #8697

Julien Abrahams

I would just take off the muffler, and check it out. You get an 'interesting' sound when you start the car without a muffler, but it can give you an idea whether the engine revs up more quickly, easily.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

The Tassie Devil(le)

By hot, what sort of temperature are you referring to?

Is it one side, or the complete system?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Smedly

Just out of curiosity does a 74 have a cat. I cant remember, I know my 73 did not but my 76 did, not sure what year they started putting them on, but if you have one that might be a good spot to start looking.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

TJ Hopland

75 was the cat year. 

Does a 74 have the heat riser?   If that was stuck closed that could be effecting the way the engine runs.

The 500 is a lot of engine and does make a lot of heat even when its running correctly.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Viator Trudeau

Hello again,,, my '74 has no cat. convt. large dia. pipe out to bumber, right side, no resonator.   System old, mabey internal blockage in muffler, needs replacement any way.
Good idea to remove muffler to check if engine runs freer.  I cannot locate my infa-red thermo, that would give a better as too what is too hot, but a bare hand, relative to my other cars feels too hot???

V. Trudeau  #8697

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

EGT (Exhaust gas temperature) will rise as the mixture is leaned.  Check your mixture, choke,etc.  I would say you are running lean. 
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

jaxops

Viator,

Did you ever get this one figured out?

mark M
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Viator Trudeau

Hello:  Repliers to my hot exh. system:  I have temperatures-- At bumper 150,  At exh. pipe 6" downstream,of manifold either side 550 to 600 degrees.  Muffler 295,  W/ muffler removed, no difference up front, it appears to be open even tho old. Temp. are 5-6 minutes after start up running at fast idle. Exhaust manifolds at head joints, 350 to 400.  I disconnected A I R hose, but no cooler.  This car has 75K on it and I think its always been that way, and I do not believe it has had a valve grind for burnt valve's.  It no doubt needs a new timing chain?? would that help??  My '68 has temp almost as high W/ no change after timing chain replacement 3-5 years ago.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I guess I have never really checked to see what the temps are downstream of the engine.  Exhaust gas will be 1300-1400 or so at the cylinder. 
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille