News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hood V and crests

Started by David Greenburg, July 09, 2014, 02:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I'm thinking of replacing mine, and I'm familiar with the usual sources- McVey's, OPGI, USA Parts, Caddy Daddy etc.  But I'm wondering if anyone knows whether they each make their own, or whether they are all selling parts from the same source, and therefore it is safe to shop based on price. Over the years I've bought some of this stuff from McVey's and been happy with it. But it ain't cheap. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

David,
I'm pretty sure it's one well & every ones dipping in. LOL! There  might have been more than one maker of the 59 tail lights however.
Are you going to Portal Park Sunday?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Grant Owen

I have Repo  V's & crests from most of the companies you mention & they are &^%*()%# Junk , if they are cast they are smaller than original & don't fit , & the CNC machined ones do not lie correctly on the panel who ever makes the machined ones needs to go back to Engineering School they don't understand that the back of the V needs to be hollowed to fit correctly. I explained this to one of the companies mentioned & they didn't care or understand . I will be probably be machining correct fitting V's for my 59's soon.

Jon S

Not to mention, I have never seen any reproductions that have the same gold tone as the originals!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The above two posters are 100% correct.

Also, many do not realize the crest and V were made of two different materials in 59/60!
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

David Greenburg

Thanks for the words of warning, everyone. I did notice one vendor's site admitting that the size was slightly different than original, but that the mounting pins line up. I guess I'll just stick with my originals, which aren't that bad (hood V has a noticeable scrape/scratch, but otherwise ok).

Bob: I won't be at Portal Park this year. I committed to family reunion event this weekend before PP was scheduled, figuring that it would be later in the month, as it has been in the past. Also. car is presently being prepared for some paintwork (which is why I was considering replacing hood and trunk jewelry).
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Have you considered having your originals polished and replated?  I agree that all of the
reproduced stuff out there is junk.

I had all of the original jewelry for my '55 Eldo polished and gold plated and they
look great.  This way, the shade of the gold matches well with all pieces being the
same.  If we're talking a later year part, then of course it's gold anodizing that you'll
need to look into.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

David Greenburg

I removed the hood v today, and it doesn't really look too bad. But only one of the mounting pins is still intact; someone had used emblem adhesive to attach one side.  Anyone know if it is possible to repair these, and if so, if there's someone who does this?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville