News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Opinions on Tires

Started by Coupe, July 10, 2014, 08:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe

Looking for opinions on BF Goodrich's wide whites vs Coker's for my '57. I have 12 year old Cokers with 13,000 miles and one has developed a ply separation.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Coupe

I have an issue with the side wall on the bad tire. There is about 3/8" runout on the side wall at the rigid by the white wall. with virtually no runout at the rim. 2 of the other 3 tires have runout greater than 1/8"
1957 Coupe de Ville
1993 Allante
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

dino

Get yourself a set of Diamondback II's.. You won't be sorry. I have no affiliation with the company..
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

Jon S

Quote from: Coupe on July 10, 2014, 08:02:03 PM
Looking for opinions on BF Goodrich's wide whites vs Coker's for my '57. I have 12 year old Cokers with 13,000 miles and one has developed a ply separation.

Which B F Goordidrich tires are you referring to?  The Coker reproduction Silvertown Radials?  If so, I bought them 8 years ago and they have been fantastic.  Lots of members like the Diamondbacks, but you never know what tire you are really getting as they shave off all lettering.  Could be Firestone, Goodyear or who knows.  Personally, I like to see lettering on the outside in addition to the wider whitewall; hence, went with the Coker B F Goodrichs.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Raymond919

I just got a full set of Diamondbacks. The lettering and all specifications are left on the back side of the tire and only removed from the front where they put the white wall.
They've been wonderful people to deal with.
Ray Schuman

Coupe

I am going with BF Goodrich Silvertown radials
1957 Coupe de Ville
1993 Allante
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Hayden P

I want to run a full whitewall on my 60 coupe... What is best width ?

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Ken Perry

Hey,Ray glad to hear you finally got some new WWW for the old 49!Sounds like time to put some miles on it. Ken Perry  8)
Cadillac Ken

David Greenburg

The original  ww width for a '60 is actually 2 1/4" although Diamondback will make any width you want.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Raymond919

Ken,
Thanks for the kind comments. I just re-built my carburetor and the engine just hums - so nice and smooth. I especially like the low rumble while it's idling.
Finally got the tires which I've dreamed of for so long. I did my research between the sellers and decided on Diamondback. They're helpful and can tell you the make of the tires you'll get and do whatever width WW you want. I got the radials that look like bias ply. They're narrower than the regular tire but have more plies for strength. If I recall correctly, they're actually light truck tires disguised to look like automobile tires. They're offered by several of the tire companies now. The only downside is that you have to increase pressure into the 40s and that gives  you a harder ride. Steering is much easier at low speed and when parking, however. Last fall had the tranny re-sealed to stop any leaks and the front end done with new king pins. I'm running out of things to do. LOL
My regards to young Ken and Molly,
Ray

Bill Ingler #7799

I started many years ago with Diamondbacks on a 41-60s as well as now on my 47. The radial that Diamondback did use to make the replacement for the 700x15 bias was a Yokohama Light Truck radial tire which was an 8 ply steel belted tire. This tire had a recommended tire pressure of 55 lbs. Of course that pressure was for a tire carrying a lot more weight than my Cadillac so I dropped the pressure to 45. At that pressure I still had a hard ride so I now carry about 37 lbs which makes for a pleasant ride. Granted I probably will have a shorter wear life on the tread but considering the amount of tread the tires still have left after 6 years of use on the 47, the tire will out live the driver.   Bill

Raymond919

Bill,
Would you mind my asking about your tires. I was told by a representative at Diamondback to inflate it up to 45 to get the sidewall as 'straight' as possible. I questioned them about how much 'belly' was acceptable in the lower portion of the tire since radials would tend to 'belly out'. They said to go up to around 45. I still notice a very slight belly near where the tire meets the road. I doubt it's possible to really get rid of every bit of belly, however. They told me that the tire is rated up to the 50s in pressure and not be concerned about the high number. What's your thoughts on that.
Ray Schuman

Bill Ingler #7799

Ray: I will back the car out tomorrow and take some profile pictures so you can see the belly at 37 lbs and 45 pounds and post the pictures.   Bill

Raymond919

Thank you, Bill. I thought it was natural for radials to have a small belly on the bottom but was told that the constant 'flexing' as the tire rolled would damage the sidewall.
I'll look forward to those photos. I really appreciate it.
Ray Schuman

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Ray: I understand Diamond back`s concern on the flexing of the side wall and maybe damage the vulcanization of the white side wall but I tried 50psi and it was like riding on a brick. I put the Diamondbacks on in 2006 and since that time the car has been on a 1000 mile tour and several shorter tours, all with 37 psi. Probably 3000 miles total and when I was taking the pictures this morning, looked at each tire and no problems. So I am going to continue with 37 psi.

I decided to take the profile pictures starting at 50 psi, then 45 what you run and then my 37psi. Yes there is some slight bellying as the pressure decreases but nothing drastic. I tried to keep the same camera location on all the pressures. I have 4 pictures on each psi so hopefully I can post 4 pictures with this post and then 2 more posts.   Bill

Bill Ingler #7799

45 psi

Bill Ingler #7799

37 psi

Raymond919

Gee Bill, I'm sorry that I put you through so much trouble. The photos are great and well thought out. The differences appear so slight from 37 up to 50 lbs. Funny that the 37 lb pressure appears to bulge less than the 50 lb reading. It should be the opposite. I'll bring my computer down to the garage later and put your photos up against my tires for a side by side comparison. Most likely, I'll drop my pressure closer to 40 to soften the ride. My tires look great and I've gotten many compliments on them and have gotten 4 trophies in just a month. The only thing I want to address is the tire pressure which gives me the harder ride.
Once again, thank you for all your work on my behalf and I'll let you know what the final result is.
Ray Schuman

Bill Ingler #7799

Ray: No problem and no it was not a lot of trouble. When you compare my pictures to your tires lets make sure we are comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges. When I bought my 700x15 Diamondbacks in 2006, the tire used by Diamondback was a light truck tire branded Yokohama LT Radial 215. If they are still using that same tire when they built your new tires, then the comparison with my tires will be comparable , but if they used a different brand tire to build your new Diamondbacks then the comparison might not mean much. I have been asked numerous times " Would you buy another set of Diamondbacks?  YES   Not only is the Diamondback company a class act to deal with when selecting your tires and any options to go on the tire, it is just a fun car to drive with their radials.   Bill