News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

need help on temp gauge

Started by stephen hill, July 11, 2014, 05:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephen hill

I have a 1940 sixty special and the temp gauge only works if I tap on the gauge front. if I keep taping it goes to hot. I took off the wire to the sender if I ground it (short time only) it goes to hot I have bought a new correct sender. any body please steve 25502
stephen hill clc#25502

Julien Abrahams

To me it appears that there is a(n internal) problem with the gauge itself. Did you try switching the gauge. I do realize that's usually easier said than done.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

MY 59

Agree with Julian, unfortunately I would not be focusing on the sender, but it is an easy try to see if it helps rather than pulling the gauge
good luck :)
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Richardonly

If you have access to another gauge, DON'T  install it.  JUST connect the wire to it and ground it and see what it reads........OR..

The wire to the gauge may also be the problem, so run a replacement test wire to it, sender to gauge, (even outside of car as it's just a test) , disconnecting the original, NOT REMOVING IT, to see if that corrects the problem.

If either or both work, then make a permanant repair.

Best of luck, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

stephen hill

thanks for all the help . I think I have a extra gauge will look for it  steve
stephen hill clc#25502