News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

wipers -72

Started by 70wagon, July 12, 2014, 03:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70wagon

Does anyone know why my wipwers  suddenly doesen´t will shut off, they were wired on a own switch  ,the original was broke ,but i changed the original switch and they woreked fine for a day.....but now they won´t shut off ,any suggestions what i should do..it´s a 1972 deville

/ Peter 
1959 Sedan Deville
1965 Sedan Deville 5.3 LS
1969 Deville Convertible
1970 Fleetwood Wagon
1972 Caribou. SOLD to Denmark

TJ Hopland

The wiper motor has a 'parking' circuit that bypasses the switch.   I'm trying to remember how they did it on the early ones but there is some sort of mechanism in the transmission part of the assembly that when the switch is on operates a cam that makes the wiper's cycle stay up on the windshield.   When you turn it off the cam position changes the stroke so the wipers pull down under the hood.  There is also an electrical circuit as part of that mechanism so that when you shut the switch off there is still power to keep the motor running till they actually park then that contact opens and it shuts off till the switch is turned on again.

That info should give you some clues to what may be happening, if they are parking it could just be a contact issue but if they are not parking it could be a mechanical issue that is not letting them park.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason